Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Upper Control Arm Bushings - Deceptive Results

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 05:29 PM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Upper Control Arm Bushings - Deceptive Results

Do I ever feel duped! I had been fighting a losing battle with severe wearing of the inner front tire edges. Such wear is usually from excessive camber or incorrect toe-in setting. I had 10 alignments done over the past 6 years, mostly for replacing steering racks, tie rods and suspension parts. EVERY ONE of those alignment reports indicates the camber was within the specified range. Yet the tires continued to wear to the point that after just 22,000 miles the right front inner edge had exposed the steel belts.

The upper control arm bushings appeared in good shape and had no detectable play when moved by hand during those times when the spindle was disconnected from the upper control arm. Everything pointed to no problem with those bushings.

During suspension work this week, I took the opportunity to change those upper bushings. The difference was apparent from the moment the van was off the jackstands. The front wheels were now noticeably more upright than before. I thought this was the wheels being pulled in while the suspension was unloaded on the jackstands and that once the van was moved the wheels would tip out as before. Nope, they stayed upright. Even without having the alignment done, the steering effort was much lighter than before. The alignment came back showing just minimal change in the camber settings, both sides now however were set at zero. Before they were 0.2 and 0.3 but still within the +/- 0.7 range.

While the spec sheet shows no big improvement, there is a world of difference in how the van steers and goes down the road. PLUS, for the first in years, the steering wheel now sits dead straight rather than slightly off center as in past times.

So, in retrospect, even though nothing seemed amiss with those upper bushings, they were in fact worn out. Sometimes facts do get in the way!

Old 08-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very interesting. Thanks for the effort and input.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:10 PM
mojo hobo
Junior User
Just a note to say thanks for the info.sure it will help others including myself

Old 08-25-2004, 11:03 PM
copper_90680
Postmaster
Thank you Aerocolorado for justifying my replacement of those bushings evenwhen they looked OK. My brothers said I was crazy to have done that

Old 09-04-2004, 10:46 AM
shel 67
Freshman User
I should have mine done sometime. I've been experiencing a slight banging on the floorboards. Is this a typical indication of worn upper bushings?

Old 09-04-2004, 11:48 AM
JGGreenAerostar
Freshman User
Hm... I'd better check mine, as I did lose a tire to wear on the inner edge.

Old 09-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Elder User
If you have a good amount mile on your van, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.