2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time 150 Owner Question re/ speed control

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:19 AM
BobJar
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time 150 Owner Question re/ speed control

Howdy everyone! I am brand new to the group, bought my first F150 two weeks ago, a 2004 Super Crew Lariat. What a wonderful driving experience! I was astounded at how comfrotable and quiet the ride is. (Now my only concern is that my wife wants to take it)

One quick question. I have noticed that the speed control seems to work on flats surfaces and hills, but that it has very little control over a downhill. It is not untypical, if I have the unit set at 55, and hit a decline for the truck to hit speeds of 70-80mph unless I ride the brakes. I drove an SUV for years before this truck and although it would gain some speed on a downhill, this seems to be an issue where the gas is not being released.

I know the truck is a lot heavier than anything I have owned in the past, and I will ask the dealer when it goes in for its first service, but I was wondering if you can give me an idea of what kind of speed variations would be normal?

Thanks in advance from the group newbie!

Bob

Old 08-25-2004, 09:56 AM
dgordon
Junior User
BobJar:
I would have the dealer check it out. Not normal. I also have a Lariat Supercrew and the speed is constant when set in cruise control. I have seen a post where another F150 owner is having the same increase in speed as you are having. Do a search on the topic and hopefully you can get additional information. Should be an easy fix. What color do you have?

Old 08-25-2004, 10:07 AM
BobJar
New User
Originally Posted by dgordon
BobJar:
What color do you have?
Thanks for the information, I will put it on my list for the 3k service. Actually it is the only issue I have had so far.

I bought a solid White 4x4 with a tan leather interior. Added Husky mats and a Roll top cover so far...... :-)

Bob

Old 08-25-2004, 10:07 AM
ATCS2004
Senior User
I take mine out of Overdrive on downhill grades. If it still continues to speed up then I drop it into 2nd. I haven't had any problems doing this and it holds my speed. The owners manual says that the transmission won't shift into a lower gear until the speed is safe to do so, so you may need to slow down to about 60 before shifting into 2nd. BTW the owners manual recommends engine braking to maintain control and prevent riding the brakes. I know there a lots of people who will disagree and say that changing brakes/rotors is much cheaper than engines/transmissions. I have yet to have any problems with any of my vehicles engines/transmissions related to engine braking.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:33 PM
HawaiianStyle
Senior User
Originally Posted by ATCS2004
I take mine out of Overdrive on downhill grades. If it still continues to speed up then I drop it into 2nd. I have yet to have any problems with any of my vehicles engines/transmissions related to engine braking.
AMEN to that because that is exactly what those gears are for. to help with towing, climbing and braking

Last edited by HawaiianStyle; 08-25-2004 at 12:35 PM.