Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Explorer purchase suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1999, 05:17 PM
rick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I currently own an 88 Bronco II. I got this a few years ago and though I do not consider myself a 4-wheeler, I do like having 4WD. I live in the midwest where it can snow plenty sometimes and it is nice to be able to put it in 4WD and get home or where ever.

I am considering purchasing an explorer and because I do not want payments, will have to settle for a 91-93. Have been looking around and find that it is almost impossible to find one for sale with less than 100K miles.

My bronco II has over 200K miles and though it does not seem to have the punch it did 2 years ago, it still seems OK. But I would not want to take it out of town.

My question is how can one tell if a vehicle has been damaged to the point of bending the frame and was repaired? I have had frame damage before on a different vehicle and though it was expensive, I think it was repaired very well. And I couldn't tell any difference in the driving. But can one look underneath and tell if a frame has been repaired. I would like to stay away from purchasing such a vehicle, unless I know and get a discount because of it. My experience is that many private owners will not admit it and dealers may not know.

Hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks

Rick

Old 12-16-1999, 01:04 PM
Redfish
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts