Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Explorers horrible past???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2000, 10:47 PM
Tallimeca
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently own a 90 EB Full Size Bronco.....I'm looking to purchase something newer....and since the Broncos are gone(sad), I must join the rat race and venture into the world of the explorer. I have narrowed my choice to the Ford Explorer because I have owned two Bronco's previously.....and have been pleased. With talking to service managers for chrysler/jeep and gm....i have been driven from blazers and cherokees. But from what I have been reading.....the Explorer (or Exploder as it's been termed)....is making me nervous. I was reading on edmunds.com......close to 300 people with transmissions failing in these vehicles under 50k miles.....some of these people having the problem more than once. In talking to other mechanics, they agree that the Explorer is an icon for transmission trouble, whether it's because they use basically the same tranny as they did in the bronco II, which is too small....or plastic pieces in the tranny itself breaking off...... Does anyone happen to agree with this theory and is ford doing anything to correct the problem?? From what I've gathered.....even under warrenty....people have been having an bad time dealing with ford on warrenty repairs and their customer service is useless. I have read of a few people telling of class action law suits against the company and dozens of lemon law cases. I am interested in a brand new 2000 Explorer Sport 4x4, as long as I can get some people telling me ford is solving this tranny problem.

Old 01-19-2000, 09:53 PM
rablake
New User

I had a 1998 Explorer Limited which went sour with -in 300 miles: leaking fluid, whining etc. Several trips to the Ford Dealer resulted in 30 days out of service and they lemon-lawed the thing off my hands in trade for a 1999 model. Document everything, check your State's lemon laws (if any) and it can be done. The 1999 works well so far with the exception of the fuel usage computer over-rating mpg by 10%, the inoperative seat heater and the memory seat function being killed by the unsuccessful transplant of the heating coil in the seat....oh well.

Old 02-17-2000, 03:58 AM
ExplorerEB96
Junior User

I have a 96 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer.. it has been offroad (not modified) and has been driven 88,000 hard miles with only one major repair problem and it was covered under warranty... It needed a new water pump.... Now to tell you how satisfied I am with my truck... well... I dont do regular maintaince ....I even go over the 3,000 miles for the oil change most of the time...I hear alot about the XLT's having alot of problems...I think if you liked your BrocoII you will love the Explorer....watch out for the 2 year sag though (the rear end sags after 2 years regardless of tow, weight, or lack thereof...you can remedey the sag by giving the tortion bar a lift

Old 02-17-2000, 04:17 AM
ExplorerEB96
Junior User