2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt squeal on cold start. 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 06:59 AM
Hokie4tec
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Belt squeal on cold start. 5.4L

Anybody have this problem? When I first start the engine in the morning, it sounds almost like a belt squeal. It's not continuous. The noise appears each time the belt comes around.

It does change with engine speed and it is still there even if I turn the A/C off. Doesn't go away until the engine warms up (about 5-10 minutes). Never happens on a hot start. Turning on a bunch of lights and electrical load does not change the sound either. Happens in park, neutral, drive, and reverse.

Last weekend, I tried belt dressing right after I started the engine. Only seemed to help for one day.

Thanks for the help - - just want to make sure it's not more serious.

5.4L 4x4 screw
3.73LS
Moonroof, audiophile, capt. chairs, power slider, bed extender, factory chrome nerf bars.
FREE factory installed options: Shimmy at 50-55, Shudder on turning takeoff, throttle lag, rebounce of rough roads. Living with 'em, cause I still love my new truck at 1400 miles.

Old 08-24-2004, 07:44 AM
txfx4x4
Senior User
In my experience, once you put belt dressing on a belt/pulley, it will squeal until the dressing wears off. If the belt is in good condition, no drive accessories are frozen/damaged (alternator, water pump, power steering pump, etc), and the tensioner is working correctly, the belt should not slip or squeal. On occasion, however, dirt and/or water will get on the belt or pulley and cause a squeal. From my experience, belt dressing does more harm than good.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Camlocker
Freshman User
not anymore

Mine did it for a while. I did notice it more when the humidity was higher and on cooler mornings. I thought maybe some grease or oil had splashed on the belt somehow, so I took a hosepipe and sprayed the belt while the engine was running. I also sprayed the A/C clutch as well because that's where the problem seemed to eminate from. I noticed about two weeks ago that it doesn't do it anymore. I guess that fixed it.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:56 PM
FOADTUFF
New User
Originally Posted by Hokie4tec
Anybody have this problem? When I first start the engine in the morning, it sounds almost like a belt squeal. It's not continuous. The noise appears each time the belt comes around.

It does change with engine speed and it is still there even if I turn the A/C off. Doesn't go away until the engine warms up (about 5-10 minutes). Never happens on a hot start. Turning on a bunch of lights and electrical load does not change the sound either. Happens in park, neutral, drive, and reverse.

Last weekend, I tried belt dressing right after I started the engine. Only seemed to help for one day.

Thanks for the help - - just want to make sure it's not more serious.

5.4L 4x4 screw
3.73LS
Moonroof, audiophile, capt. chairs, power slider, bed extender, factory chrome nerf bars.
FREE factory installed options: Shimmy at 50-55, Shudder on turning takeoff, throttle lag, rebounce of rough roads. Living with 'em, cause I still love my new truck at 1400 miles.
I have an 04 FX4 with a 5.4 and it did this the very next day of ownership for me. Mine did the exact same thing....only on cold starts, never hot starts. I took it back to the dealership and they replaced the belt....the service mgr told me that the grooves on the serpentine belt of some of the trucks were incorrect and not matching the pulleys and that they had replaced quite a few. Replacing the belt seems to have fixed it. Hope this helps.

Old 08-24-2004, 06:25 PM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
Mine Screw did the same type of thing, except it was a clicking noise. Dealer replaced belt and the idler pulley I think. No more problem.

Old 08-25-2004, 06:29 AM
Hokie4tec
Freshman User
Thanks for the info. Nice to know my truck is not the only one with this minor issue. I'll have it looked at during next oil change at dealer.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Camlocker
Freshman User
another glitch?

Foadtuff, if this is true, wouldn't that lead to premature wear on the belt, if not the other components? I noticed mine did it this morning, but stopped by the time I got to the end my road. You know how the service depts. are. If they don't hear it or see it when it's happening, it's considered "normal". Well, I travel interstate about twenty miles and if this thing pukes on the road, I'll definitely "not be normal" when I get to the stealership! I sure as H*** hope these first year glitches don't get the best of me. It seems like everytime I hit these forums, some new glitch pops up. Lets take a count and see how many glitches we have now. Ok, I feel better. Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:05 PM
FOADTUFF
New User
Originally Posted by Camlocker
Foadtuff, if this is true, wouldn't that lead to premature wear on the belt, if not the other components? I noticed mine did it this morning, but stopped by the time I got to the end my road. You know how the service depts. are. If they don't hear it or see it when it's happening, it's considered "normal". Well, I travel interstate about twenty miles and if this thing pukes on the road, I'll definitely "not be normal" when I get to the stealership! I sure as H*** hope these first year glitches don't get the best of me. It seems like everytime I hit these forums, some new glitch pops up. Lets take a count and see how many glitches we have now. Ok, I feel better. Thanks for letting me vent.
It probably would cause premature belt wear, but, I'm not a mechanic so I don't want to give false info. I know what you mean about the glitches....I bought my 04 on July 6, 2004 and I have had it at the dealership about eight times already....the biggest complaint though has not been mechanical but cosmetic. The second week of ownership I was standing in the bed of the truck and noticed about seven to eight dents or pings randomly located on the passenger side of the roof....I didn't think to look at the roof before purchasing. So now I have been going back and forth with the dealership about these dents, the latest is they keep saying they're waiting on a Ford Rep. A friend of mine bought an F350 SCrew at the same dealership, and he also has dents in his roof (he looked after I told him about mine) and he is upset also. So anyway I'm taking mine to the dealership tomorrow (08/27/04) because I now have a shimmy in the steering wheel when braking, adhesive gets on the driver's side window after rolling it down, the A/C is not cold, and my engine sounds like a diesel after it warms up. I'll be honest with you, I had an 02 SCrew FX4 that I traded for this truck and that was a BIG mistake. Meanwhile, I have a Dispute Settlement Board Application being mailed to me. The dealership has infuriated me one too many times. As for your belt, that's pretty much the way mine was acting....once the engine warmed up, the belt stopped squeeling. When they replaced my belt, it took care of the problem. Also, sometimes you can't be "normal" with the dealership(s) to get results, I wouldn't blame you a bit....good luck.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:57 AM
Camlocker
Freshman User
Sorry to hear about your results. I had an 02 FX4 that was a really great truck up until I started having transmission troubles, so I traded it. Overall, I really love my 04, but these little glitches are becoming a PITA. Good luck on your progress with the dealership.