Towing 6+Ton of hay

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 03:33 AM
jkruh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing 6+Ton of hay

Hi, guys,
I want to know if my husband can use his 1982 F250 460 PU to haul a flat trailer "squeeze" loaded with 6-7Ton of hay. The farmer said we just need a 2" ball. It's about a 60 mile journey over coastal range in oregon...Thank you

Old 08-22-2004, 07:23 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
I could, but if he is in doubt, maybe he shouldn't. It doesn't matter about numbers the driver still has to command the haul.

John

Old 08-22-2004, 07:53 AM
jharvey3
Elder User
What type of hitch? Class 3/4/5 type under the bumper or a goosneck mount in the bed? 7 tons=14,000lbs and I don't recall a 2" ball on a class 3/4/5 type hitch being able to handle that kinda of weight. Chances are you'll also be over the weight rating for the truck. Any way to split the load up and make two trips?

John

Old 08-22-2004, 11:56 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Depending on who makes them, generally a 2" ball is rated for about a 7,500 pound load and a 2 5/16 is rated for a 10,000 pound load. Which is no where near 14,000 pounds.

Being a farm implement, I bet this trailer has no brakes!

I would put a scale on the trailer hitch and once the load hit 400-500 pounds, that would be it on the hay load. Assuming your truck has a frame mount trailer hitch ball and not a bumper ball.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:50 AM
LK
Elder User
I've hauled a lot of hay, and 6-7 ton is a pretty big load for a pickup - at least, when you have to drive 60 miles up and down hills on public roads. Plus, as Rebocardo points out, the trailer probably doesn't have any brakes - so I'd REALLY be worried about the hills. If your husband decides to do it, he'll want to use engine compression to keep his speed down rather than using the brakes - in my experience an '82 F250 doesn't have enough brakes to keep that kind of load under control without the help of engine braking.

I'm curious what exact type of trailer this would be - because I can't think of any trailers large enough for that amount of hay that would use a 2" ball. Depending on the weight of the hay, that would be 200-300 square bales (figuring 50-70 pound bales) - and that's more hay than you can put on a car hauler-sized trailer, so we're talking about something perhaps 30 foot in length or more. I've never heard of a "squeeze" trailer, so I don't know what kind that is - I assume it's not like a normal hay wagon, because you wouldn't want to pull of of those 60 miles. At least, none of the ones I've pulled! So, I don't know how much that trailer would weigh. I'm used to seeing a pintle hitch on the larger farm trailers - the 2" ball thing confuses me. Depending on the trailer, we could be looking at a total weight of close to 20,000 pounds - possibly without any brakes. I'd do that when I was hauling around the farm, but I wouldn't take it out for a 60-mile drive. Well, maybe if I was in Nebraska and there were no hills.

I wish I could give you a better answer, but without knowing if the trailer has brakes that work properly, and the truck is wired for them, I really can't. If the trailer doesn't have any brakes, I'd definitely vote against it - especially if your husband hasn't towed that sort of load before. If he's got an automatic tranny, that'll mean he has questionable compression braking...and that truck won't stop that load without it, not when you're looking at hills and curves. If your husband didn't care how long it took him, I'd even recommend using 4-low (assuming he has a 4x4) on the steep downhill grades in order to help compression braking.

Also, with that year truck and a frame-mounted hitch you're looking at potential frame damage on the truck, or perhaps shearing off the frame mounting bolts - I've seen that in the past with similar loads.

I guess my main recommendation would be to try to split the load and take it in two trips...it's not worth the risk.

LK