Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Will Power Stroke have an answer for Cummings soon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:08 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think people get too hot and bothered about this truck has more power or that truck has more. Almost think were talking about the muslecar wars of the sixties to the muscletruck wars of the 2000s. You know it just goes to show that we race our trucks and we want the fastest one in town. That being said I have friends with powerstrokes who would be glad to take on anybody in a race bar none. They have the 7.3s modded out to the max. I really doubt anybody can beat them guys except maybe a 6.0 . A 6.0 forget it. In the drag wars the 6.0 is untouchable. Its the king of racing if thats how you measure performance. Ive ridden in a 6.0 modded. Wow times 5. That motor will scream. Roasting tires easy. Burn em right down to the rim if you want. The 6.0 is a performer believe me. If I had a Dodge or a Duramax I would forget it. You wont beat that 6.0. Hopefully not everybody judges trucks by this performance because all the diesels will get the job done. But everyone wants a fast truck the 6.0 is it.

Old 08-24-2004, 03:00 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually I think tomac and maddog are the fastest but I was reading the thread. Amazingly neither drive a 6.0. No doubt the 6.0 is fast. But it aint top dog yet. I would like to see it in the 11s.

The cool thing bout maddogs is he has torque sapping tires on his truck. A tire is kind of a lever. The longer the lever, bigger the tire, the less leverage the engine has on the tire. He is running 11.4s on 38s. Show me another truck that can claim that. You can regear to partially eliminate this. Huge tires also increase rolling resistance no matter the gearing of the diff.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 08-24-2004 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:04 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FORD352V8
This sounds like antoher TROLL.
I think a troll woulda spelt cummings right.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:05 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At our diesel dyno day in very hot DFW, the top powerstroke was in the 387hp range....
the top three were all dodges @ over 700hp,
tops was a 1998 twin turboed Dodge with over 1200 lbft and probably much more since the dyno wouldn't measure higher...

Most of their "stuff" was due to what my daily driver self considers "exotic" upgrades like twin turbos - nitrous, etc...
I'll never approach the kind of numbers they were turning !!!

http://www.northtexaspowerstrokes.co...ullresults.php

Last edited by jdadamsjr; 08-24-2004 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:48 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by valenrandy
didnt someone post a video somewhere around here showing an f350 doing 11.42 in the qtr mile? I downloaded the video and boy did that truck smoke like it was on steroids or something...
I saw that - Black truck at a las vegas track. It was racing some rice grinder.

Old 08-26-2004, 02:07 AM
VintageRR
Junior User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
the top three were all dodges @ over 700hp,
tops was a 1998 twin turboed Dodge with over 1200 lbft and probably much more since the dyno wouldn't measure higher...
How streetable is a truck like that?

Old 08-26-2004, 06:05 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Theirs a black one around here pushing 650 that is a daily driver.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:15 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
I know of Pro Stock cars that are on the street too......does not mena it is "really" drivable...just means it is on the street.
So what

Old 08-26-2004, 06:09 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VintageRR
I've seen trucks with Cummings power run under 12 seconds, but nothing with a Power Stroke. Will Ford have a performance answer anytime soon?
Ford doesn't currently offer a high-performance 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I mean, they're easily made high-performance, but Ford didn't lose sight of the fact that these trucks are made to work in any conditions, and take plenty of abuse. This is why Dodge and Chevrolet can't keep up in the market, they lose sight of the fact that the trucks needs to work in any conditions for decades with minimal downtime and start worrying about creature comforts to make their truck a more comfortable work truck. This is why Dodges and Chevies fall apart years before Fords do (not always, but in general). I can see it now, Chevy will have a 3500 Duramax with an IRS so you can get a better launch off the line than the F-350 PSD, and people will come on here and argue that it's every bit as durable and stronger than the Ford's rear end.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:22 PM
BVister
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordLariat
Ford doesn't currently offer a high-performance 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I mean, they're easily made high-performance, but Ford didn't lose sight of the fact that these trucks are made to work in any conditions, and take plenty of abuse. This is why Dodge and Chevrolet can't keep up in the market, they lose sight of the fact that the trucks needs to work in any conditions for decades with minimal downtime and start worrying about creature comforts to make their truck a more comfortable work truck.
You know, up until the 2005 Super Duty's came out, I would have agreed with you 100%. I must say though, I'm pretty disappointed to see that Ford gave in and went from leaf to coil springs on the 4x4 SD's. Aside from the turning radius improving (which wasn't a complaint of SD owners as far as I know), they didn't really gain much. The ride of the leaf spring trucks was no worse than Dodge or GM offerings, and I really doubt the trucks will hold up as well to snow plows and such as the old SD's did.

Looks to me like Ford is now going the way of creature comforts as well.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Taz_Devel
New User
I've had PowerJokes since they came out in 94-1/2. I havn't had anything but PJD's and I for the life of me, cannot keep up with a stock Cummins powered Dodge. Hence "PowerJoke"

Last edited by Taz_Devel; 08-26-2004 at 06:35 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 08-26-2004, 07:11 PM
gotdiesel
Senior User
ive got 160,000 on my powerstroke. i tie it to either of my horse trailers or one of our flatbed trailers and it pulls it great. this many miles with practically no down time and no problems with in sight. that is what i bought my truck for and it does it well. i dont know what horse power or torque it is making with my few simple mods but i know i can work it all day every day and never worry about it. i just finished a 1400 mile round trip non-stop pulling a 24' loaded stock trailer and i never thought twice about the truck making it. the only time i stopped was to get diesel and they all have to do that sometimes. maybe some of us(including the big three) should remember that we are driving heavy duty work trucks and not drag racers. i need the power and torque but i also need a truck that will last years with minimal down time and minimal upkeep. just my .02

Old 08-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Marine Ironman
Senior User
Originally Posted by Taz_Devel
I've had PowerJokes since they came out in 94-1/2. I havn't had anything but PJD's and I for the life of me, cannot keep up with a stock Cummins powered Dodge. Hence "PowerJoke"
Hey, it's the Joker. Are you from Gotham City? Yeah, right. You've owned PSDs (plural) since 94 and just keep buying them despite not being able to "keep up" with Cummins. And what enlightenment may we expect from your 5th post? Reach in your drawers and pull out some more wisdom for us, DevilBoy.

IRONMAN

Old 08-26-2004, 07:52 PM
DieselDonor7.3
Senior User
Originally Posted by Marine Ironman
Hey, it's the Joker. Are you from Gotham City? Yeah, right. You've owned PSDs (plural) since 94 and just keep buying them despite not being able to "keep up" with Cummins. And what enlightenment may we expect from your 5th post? Reach in your drawers and pull out some more wisdom for us, DevilBoy.
Don't mind him Taz... He's very sensitive about anyone expressing their disappointments with America's top non-commercial diesel.

Old 08-26-2004, 08:24 PM
VintageRR
Junior User
Originally Posted by gotdiesel
ive got 160,000 on my powerstroke. i tie it to either of my horse trailers or one of our flatbed trailers and it pulls it great. this many miles with practically no down time and no problems with in sight. that is what i bought my truck for and it does it well. i dont know what horse power or torque it is making with my few simple mods but i know i can work it all day every day and never worry about it. i just finished a 1400 mile round trip non-stop pulling a 24' loaded stock trailer and i never thought twice about the truck making it. the only time i stopped was to get diesel and they all have to do that sometimes. maybe some of us(including the big three) should remember that we are driving heavy duty work trucks and not drag racers. i need the power and torque but i also need a truck that will last years with minimal down time and minimal upkeep. just my .02
Racing leads to many factory production improvements. There should always be room for aftermarket performance parts and factory supported performance enhancements.

Some of you want nothing more than a work truck. Some of you want nothing less than a 4 ton rocket that can pull a boat on the weekends. Some of you want a luxury vehicle with 6.5’ of wasted space in the back. Others of us want the best of all worlds. I fall into that category.

I'd like to get at least 200 more hp and 300 ft/lbs of torque out of my 05 while keeping it streetable. What is streetable? It's tolerable performance that isn't annoying if used daily and doesn't cause a diesel engine to deteriorate dramatically before 200,000 miles. I ask an open-ended question to get the most response. I find the answers I want between the extremes.

Thanks for contributing.

Last edited by VintageRR; 08-26-2004 at 08:27 PM.