2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better Deal???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 09:37 AM
tscryba
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Better Deal???

Which is the better deal on a Supercab 04 F-150, the FX4 or an XLT 4x4, if your looking for 4x4..... but your not really a hard core fan of off-roading, just to go around some places in texas...

Old 08-20-2004, 10:39 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
isnt the only difference with the fx4 is its skidplates and rancho shocks. you can upgrade the xlt to the 5.4 if they come with the 4.6 i forget and other than that its all interior and detail stuff i think.

Old 08-20-2004, 10:41 AM
fatman66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
add up the difference of all the stuff that the FX4 package includes standard and which is optional on the xLT XLT (such as the 5.4, 3.55LS, "push button" 4wd, skid plates, keyless entry, cosmetic stuff...). If you can equip an XLT with what you want for less (some of the FX4 stuuf may be unwanted) then the XLT is a good deal, if not get the FX4. I might have got an FX4 b/c I liked the looks of it better than the XLT but there was some stuff in that package that I didn't like such as the "push button" 4wd and keyless entry so I saved some money and got a modestly equipped XLT, which I like a lot. JMHO

Old 08-20-2004, 10:51 AM
timhood
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends...

Originally Posted by tscryba
Which is the better deal on a Supercab 04 F-150, the FX4 or an XLT 4x4, if your looking for 4x4..... but your not really a hard core fan of off-roading, just to go around some places in texas...
Ok, first off, we have to assume that you're not interested in some of the features that you can only get in the FX4. For one, this includes leather seating and the flow-through console. Call me biased because I have the FX4, but I think it's interior is quite a bit nicer than the XLT's. I've got a friend here at work that has an XLT and everyone who's been in both of ours agrees, without a doubt.

You're looking at about a two grand upgrade in MSRP. The FX4 comes standard with the larger engine (which I would take) and electronic shift-on-the-fly vs. manual SOF 4WD. You also get slightly nicer wheels (though still the same size). I believe the front grille is different and the bumpers on the XLT are chrome vs. painted on the FX4.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think only the FX4 comes with a stiffer suspension for off-roading, which for you might be a negative rather than a positive.

So, IMO, assuming you don't care about the difference in the interior or flow-through or leather, get the XLT and upgrade to the bigger engine ($900). You can also get ESOF and/or skid plates for $160 each. But taken into consideration all of the differences between the two the FX4 is worth the upgrade price, if you would want most of the upgrades/changes.