Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Should I do

Old 08-18-2004, 12:37 AM
Alaska7.3
Freshman User
Alaska7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What Should I do

I bought a 2002 PS 4x4 CC, SWB from a local dealer. The truck is extremely clean inside and out, 45K miles. There are very few scratches in the bed and NONE one the exterior. However, two days after I got it the OD light started blinking and to make a long story short the local Ford dealer is rebuilding the tranny (extended warranty covering the costs) . I did confirm they are putting a new Tourque Converter in. They are also overhauling the HPOP b/c of a leak. I am also having the dealership check the Coolant level to make sure they it is in spec.

I would like to know what else I should do to such as replacing the differential fluids, transfer case lube, etc. in order to prevent other types of mishaps.

Or should I just sell the truck and start over.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2004, 01:16 AM
Technitom
Senior User
Technitom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dont go off the deep end... If you dont know the history of the truck, it wont hurt any to change your fluids. That way you have a starting point. Go ahead and either have them flush the injectors or do it yourself buy taking the lid off the fuel filter, drain the filter bowl and filling it up with stanadyne...

Since they're rebuilding the tranny I would recommend having them put in a sonnax valve or go to motorhaven and order the "Diablo Sport Transmission PowerValve Tranny Shift Valves " .. the diablo comes in choice of hard or firm shifts... the AT's are the weak link in the PSD. Ford tries to compensate for a mechanical problem by electronically adjusting the ECU.

If you're towing or planning to do any mods like a chip or tuner, GET A SET OF GAUGES (boost, pyro, & tranny temp)

buy youself a Cam Position Sensor (CPS) and toss it along with a 10 mm wrench in your glove box... they can go out at any time leaving you stranded.

the best thing you can do is pour yourself a cup of your favorite beverage and sit in front of your computer and read the posts in this forum... there is so much valuable information here. and all of it is coming from guys who has "been there and done that" and own PSD's like you and me.

Old 08-18-2004, 01:41 AM
Alaska7.3
Freshman User
Technitom,

I appreciate your response. What is a sonnax valve and how much does it cost?

Thanks Again!

Old 08-18-2004, 01:49 AM
Alaska7.3
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Nevermind.... Funny things those hyperlinks...they take you to the information

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.