Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

94 Explorer, How much steering play is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 08:30 AM
gstein
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a very sloppy power steering gearbox replaced on a 94 4WD explorer at the dealer last week. When the vehicle was returned the steering was better but still sloppy. Naturally, they said the problem was the steering shaft (more money) and the gearbox is not adjustable (huh?). I checked the vehicle myself and the steering shaft has some barely perceptible play and the steering knuckles, etc, are all tight. The input shaft to the steering gear can be rotated about 4 or 5 degrees with no movement of the steering link with an additional 1 or 2 degrees of mush on either side before the gear is "fully engaged". Play is less when the wheels are turned which makes me suspect they installed a used box with a worn gear rather than an adjustment issue. I would like to be armed with facts when I drag the shop manager out by his tie to make him test drive the car so does anybody know where I can get the specifications for the steering gear on a Ford Explorer? Specificallly, how much play is acceptable in a new or rebuilt steering box? I would seriously appreciate any feedback and mae culpa, Dealers bad. DIY good. Lesson learned.
George Stein

Old 01-21-2001, 12:10 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Steering Gearbox on your Explorer should have an adjustable sector shaft . What was wrong with the original steering gearbox ? As long as the other steering components are fine , tie rods etc , then it really shouldnt take much to adjust the free play out of yours . You need to have a little play but not to the point where constant steering corrections are needed . Look at the top of the gear box & you should see a locknut & the adjusting nut . Just tell them you have excessive steering wheel play after the new box was installed & have them adjust the gear box . Did you talk to the mechanic that did the work or one of the service writers ? If you just talked to the service writer chances are they wouldnt know a steering gearbox from a box of Kleenex . Look on your reciept & the mechanics name or Id number should be on there ? Just go in & ask him about it .

Old 01-21-2001, 12:47 PM
gstein
New User

Gadfrey, I didn't expect anybody to write back this fast. Thanks. Anyhow, The original box was dangerously sloppy and the slop could not be adjusted out. I tried. I talked to one of the mechanics who looked at the vehicle after it was returned and diagnosed as having a worn steering shaft. He said the "remanufactured" steering box is factory adjusted and not adjustable by them, and that it is fine. I think we both knew the sector gear preload is adjusted with a screwdriver and an in-oz torque wrench and that good practice would dictate that the preload on a rebuilt box be checked before installation. I think we both also knew the steering shaft had some slight play but was not badly worn. I think they were assuming I was stupid and were trying to hose more money out of me with an unnecessary repair. grrrr. The fact that the play is worse when the wheels are pointed ahead than when they are turned indicates to me that the sector gear may be worn in the middle and that Ford cheaped out on the rebuild. Since this is my fiance's car I am not familiar with how tight the steering should feel on a Ford Explorer. Hopefully one should not be able to turn the wheel 4 or 5 degrees without effecting the direction of the car. Thoughts? Anyhoe, Thanks again
George Stein

Old 01-23-2001, 08:24 PM
douglapd
Junior User