2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost My Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Fcal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mike,

I just filed a complaint on the site link mentioned above. Hopefully if they get enough of these, Ford will be forced to do something about it.
Frank

Old 10-10-2004, 11:49 AM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
Any idea how to report this?
Well here is the website. There is a toll free number listed that you can call M-F. I'm sure you can also e-mail them. I'm going to e-mail them this thread. I know cars/trucks get recalled with only a few confirmed cases, especially when it's as serious as this brake issue is. Also can all of you with brake issues post the plant your truck came from, and the month/year? That might help.

Here is the website. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ Toll free number: <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=442 summary="This table is used for layout purposes only" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
DOT Auto Safety Hotline
For more information dial NHTSA's toll-free hotline at

1-888-DASH-2-DOT
(1-888-327-4236)
8:00AM to 10:00PM ET Monday-Friday

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 10-10-2004, 11:53 AM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
This link should work to file a complaint online. I'd call them as well.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Old 10-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Fcal
Senior User
Don't have my truck right now (it's at Ford) but I think it was made at the Kansas City Plant.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:23 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
ABS will release the brakes if it senses a wheel lock-up...that's where the ECU sensing such a condition will override the master cylinder. Here's a case where random electrons can be a big problem...too much trust in computers.

I would really like the mods of this forum to post a "sticky" that steers ANYBODY with this problem to a direct link for the NHTSA reporting site. There is no other way to get this addressed! And all of the incidents described here have been unsettling at worst; I don't want to be the first to plow into the back of the orphanage van cuz my brakes failed!!

My truck just turned 8,000 and has been a CHAMP...but I sure don't want to have this hanging over my head, so if you have a problem with the brakes, you GOTTA report it!

Thanks!!

Old 10-10-2004, 07:27 PM
Fcal
Senior User
thanks Don. Kinda makes sense. Don't you think the wizards at Ford should have designed some kind of failsafe into the works.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:35 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
ABSOLUTELY, Fcal, they definitely should have!! How about an "ABS disarm" switch??

Old 10-10-2004, 09:16 PM
kamikaze2b
Senior User
Well ABS will pulse the wheels to prevent a imminent lock up or skid, but they do not just let the brakes go to the floor. There seems to be something else at work there. Regardless ANYBODY with the problem should take 5 minutes and file a report with NHTSA, it might be somebody you know or love that is saved.

Old 10-11-2004, 04:57 AM
tcparry
Senior User
I was the originator of this thread..Yes, I did report the problem to the Feds, and they have gotten back to me and wanted more info..Everyone with this problem should report it..

Old 10-11-2004, 06:03 PM
Fcal
Senior User
Well, today I paid a visit to "my" Ford dealer. When the Service Mgr overheard me talking about brake failure, he became very concerned. i explained the situation to him and he immediately took my number and told me he'd call me back soon. About an hour later he called me back. It turns out he knows the Mgr at the other dealer very well and got him involved.
No longer is the ECU the problem. They are replacing the Master Cyl, and the ABS module. It turns out the ECU wasn't the culprit.
I asked why you lose total brake control when the ABS malfunctions. He said that you shouldn't, and that's why they are replacing both. The wires coming out of the master cylinder are only for the idiot light teling you the level is low.
I hope this works, cause if it doesn't, Ford might be changing their name to Frank.

Old 10-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Fcal
Senior User
Oh! they also mentioned something about updating the software in my ECU.
I guess they'll try anything.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:57 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Originally Posted by DonsFx4
ABS will release the brakes if it senses a wheel lock-up...that's where the ECU sensing such a condition will override the master cylinder. Here's a case where random electrons can be a big problem...too much trust in computers.

Thanks!!

Don,

I don't see how that's possible, there would have to be a bypass in the MC, or from the HCU to the resevoir. I haven't looked at mine to verfiy this, but pretty sure there is no bypass, the brake system should still be a closed loop setup....i/e still be able to maintain pressure from the pedal. What the HCU does, is open and close solenoids to change pressure bias at each wheel that is sensed.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Fcal
Senior User
Got the truck back today. Brakes work fine for now. the replaced the MC, the ABS module, and reprogrammed the computer.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:32 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
3Mike6...I meant to say that the ABS releasing pressure to the brakes (when it senses a wheel lock-up) EFFECTIVELY overrides the normal pressure coming from the master cylinder. If, for some reason ABS sensed ALL wheels locked, then effectively you have no brakes. If, for some reason all the solenoids get hung up open, same thing. That's where my reference to placing a lot of trust in computers comes from.

My bad for not being clear! Thanks for pointing that out!

Last edited by DonsFx4; 10-14-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Fcal
Senior User
Personally, I think ABS brakes were created for people who don't know how to drive. I hate them. Never had a problem before they were invented.

ABS or not, there should be a failsafe for the system. A broken hydraulic line, I can understand that. A computer glitch, explain that to the person you crushed.

Quick Reply: Lost My Brakes