84 Ranger engine/tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 12:49 PM
bob hare
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 Ranger engine/tranny swap

Hi all,
I've picked up a '84 Ranger with the 2.8 liter and auto trans, which both seem to be on it's last leg. What type of engine swaps would you recommend? Keep in mind I would rather keep a smaller displacement engine, rather than going for a 302. Also, what auto transmissions came with this Ranger? I haven't brought the Ranger home yet, so it's difficult to check and verify the tranny type myself. One idea I had was to steal the 2.3 liter out of my daughter's '92 Mustang, is it feasible, and would an older C-4 trans bolt up? Enough for now, thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2004, 02:07 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE!!!

If you're willing to put in the effort, I'd go with a 4.0L. You will need to get the underhood wiring from the donar rig and good wiring diagrams for both what you have now as well as the donar rig. You will need to do some wiring work; probably you will have to modify the wiring to accomidate the computer in the rig. Do the homework first. It can be done. I know a guy that put a 5.0L in an early 70's Maverick Grabber. The 4.0L is abundant and you should be able to find one for a decent price. Be aware that auto and manual trannies use different computers if you go this road.

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 08-10-2004 at 02:11 PM.