1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

The positive battery cable goes where?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 09:13 PM
jhard527
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The positive battery cable goes where?

I need help connecting a new battery to my 1964 F100. It has a 223. My son and I are trying to start it after many years of it sitting idle at my father's house. The negative is connected, but the positive is my problem. It runs from the battery to where? Please help with as much verbage as possible describing the location, as i am an inexperienced mechanic.

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:19 PM
carras
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 1966 F-100 and a 63 Falcon. Both have the positive cable running from the + side of the battery to the starter solenoid bolted to the passenger side inner fender, then there's a second cable running from the other side of the solenoid down to the starter. Hope this helps.

Old 08-05-2004, 12:34 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
FIRST! Disconnect the negative cable at the battery! Locate the starter solenoid. The positive battery cable runs from the starter solenoid to the positive post on the battery. Another cable runs from the other side of the solenoid to the starter. With the negative cable disconnected you eliminate the risk of arcing your wrenches, burns and possible fire caused by sparks in the presence of gasoline. Always connect the negative cable LAST! Disconnect the negative cable FIRST. Consider asking someone with mechanical experience for some hands on help. Lots of bad things can happen when you try to start a truck that has been setting for a long time. Where are you? Maybe somone from FTE can help on-site?