Drilling and tapping

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 06:31 PM
ssKable
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drilling and tapping

Ok, I have a 99 f150 with a 5.4L v8 with several mods, some of which I did myself which is part of the problem. I installed a throttle bodie spacer, tried to follow the instructions as best as possible and it didn't say anything about tightening the bolts too tight. Whell I stripped the inner threads on what I believe is the egr valve, its where the throttle body bolts to, the bolts are fine its the inner threads on this part. I do not have the money to replace the part and dont know where I would find it. I was told to use some jbweld and drill out the holes and tap them, or something like that, I dont understand but hopefully one of you guys can explain what I will need and how I would do this. This info would be awsome, thanks

Old 08-05-2004, 11:02 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Go to your local parts house and take the bolt with you. Get a heli-coil kit and you can install new threads in the hole.

Old 08-09-2004, 08:42 PM
ssKable
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I got the kit but I have a question about it, the kit came with about 11 little threads that are probably a quarter of an inch long and the bolt itself has about an inch worth of threads on it, the guy at the parts store told me to just use 3 or 4 per bolt but the threads you put in the hole you drill out have a little notch in the bottom so the tool and grab it and put it in, I dont see how you could use more then one because this piece would get in the way of the bolt going through, will the bolt push it out of the way or will I have to try and find longer threads?

Old 08-09-2004, 09:48 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I would just use one. Bottom it out in the hole. They give you enough threads to properly hold it based on the diameter of the bolt. So I would bottom out the insert and bolt it back together. It should hold just fine. Just snug up the bolts, don't overtighten