Notices

Larger Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 12:03 AM
GasMonkey
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Larger Rear View Mirror

didnt know where to put this, so i stuck it here.

id like to get a larger rear view mirror for my windsheild. ive seen ones you can clip on to the exsisting ones,but they're these weird neon light ones i dont like. anyone know where i can just get a larger mirror? not one that clips on. just one that i actually replace the exsisting one with? id like to get some more visibility in my mirror.

Old 08-04-2004, 12:06 AM
jessfactor
Elder User
napa has them. i think they are under 20 bucks and look like the stock ones. i was thinking of getting one myself.

Old 08-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Moved to proper forum.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:46 AM
chiahunw
Senior User
try to do a seach on ebay for "broadway mirror".

Broadway makes clipon rearview mirrors in either flat or convex curved. I have a 300mm wide convex for my truck, and I do get more visibility.

Old 10-18-2004, 07:58 AM
kontai69
Senior User
I second the recommendation for the Broadway mirror. I have a plain black 300mm flat mirror. They are very good quality (made in Japan) and seem to be more reflective and clearer than the stock mirror. I can see much better at night, which is important if you have window tint. They sell on eBay for around $20 shipped.

Old 10-18-2004, 02:56 PM
GasMonkey
Senior User
which is better convex or flat? whats the diff? besides the fact taht ones curved, id figure the convex would have a wider view since its curved, but would the flat have better image quality.

Last edited by GasMonkey; 10-18-2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:14 PM
kontai69
Senior User
Originally Posted by GasMonkey
which is better convex or flat? id figure the convex would have a wider view since its curved, but would the flat have better image quality.
You are correct. I would go with the flat mirror for the non-distorted view. I read that the annoying thing with the convex mirror is that you will always see your own reflection everytime you look in the mirror.

Old 10-18-2004, 11:25 PM
GasMonkey
Senior User
yea, that would get distracting. see how im so perty hehe but seriusly that would get annoying just cuz its wasted. i need to see the stuff behind me not if i got anything stuck in my teeth. a search on ebay turned up a 'type-a' mirror which for some reason is cheaper but supposedly more reflective for darker tinted windows?

whats the diff? which is better?

****correction****
the type-A is MORE expensive, pressumebly because its more reflective, says its best used with tinted windows. if i use it withought my rear window tinted will i go blind? hehe

Last edited by GasMonkey; 10-19-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:21 PM
chiahunw
Senior User
I got the convex one. I been using a convex mirror since I was 16 (I'm 26 now). I don't like to look at myself in the mirror either. So I aimed the mirror more to the right such that I can still get pretty good coverage.

The only drawback to a convex mirror is getting used to distorted view. Once I got used to the convex mirror, I can't go back to the flat one.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:53 PM
patbomccauley
New User
Thumbs up I bought a clip on

I bought a clip on from razo. The mirror is crystal clear and doesn't look cheap or rice racer gaudy. The clip ons at wally world and part stores looked cheap to me.

This is my first full size truck and I didn't like the height for the factory mirror. It cut off the tops of suvs/trucks and was very distracting. I am used to import cars with slightly taller mirrors. The convex one looked to wierd for me. so I got the flat. A bonus was that I get a greater left to right field of vision too. This was essential for me.

Taller than oe by about 1/2 -3/4 inch and about 1 inch wider and an actual rectangle.

there is a beveled "molding" or frame around the mirror that is flush. The frame is satin silver and narrow and blends in so it isn't distracting like the black.

I think it is like 3" x 11 1/8" and the actual mirror is 2 3/4 x 11

I was worried it wouldn't stay clipped on. It does, and I didn't even use the double sided sticky tape they supplied. Very sturdy I was surprised.

I looked for 2 weeks for a new mirror and I couldn't find one bigger that wasn't billet and big $. This was 14.95 at cartoys you can probably find it online too.

here is the manufacturer pic http://hsg01.vehicle.ad.jp/products/...ductsID=311231