Radio/CD/Clock Display

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 10:59 AM
LonnieD
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio/CD/Clock Display

Anyone ever have their display go out? Everything works but no display at all. Ford says a local stero will fix it for 284.00...someyhiung about some power unit behind the system that all fords blow. If that's true, I want to know if it could be something else, can we get to it ourself....what's the deal HELP!!

Old 08-02-2004, 08:34 PM
prcrboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quite common, do a search and it will yeild alot of info. I had mine repaired for $75 but somewhere on here there is a dyi fix.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:52 AM
tankhead
Elder User
Originally Posted by LonnieD
Anyone ever have their display go out? Everything works but no display at all. Ford says a local stero will fix it for 284.00...someyhiung about some power unit behind the system that all fords blow. If that's true, I want to know if it could be something else, can we get to it ourself....what's the deal HELP!!
I have this local stereo/electronics guy I take all my truck electrical needs to. When he was doing my alarm he noticed my stereo display was out. He said he had the fix, but I wanted the alarm installed first. He says that the green display lights need more than 12 volts or something to work and need to go thru some conversions to up the vlotage. He puts a solder on one of these conversions and voila. He charged me $30 to clean the eye and fix the display. Been over a year now. I have referred others to him on other SuperDuty forums. The thing is, I don't believe he's gonna tell u how to go about fixing it w/o some kind of compensation. But that's totally between u and him. He has told me to give his e-mail addy to anybody that is interested.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:27 AM
LonnieD
Elder User
display fix

I was sent the fix. There's a guy on line who shows you how to remove the stereo step-by-step and shows you how to fix yourself...all for 20.00 or you can send him a modest fee of 65.00 and he'll send you the a repaired board and all you have to do is install it...so why dose Ford allow this to stay as it is? My local stereo fix shop says he makes a living out of fiing Ford radios at 340.00 a pop...(5 a week)