Throttle Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Mr.Majestyk
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Springs?

Hello Everyone Yesterday As I Was At A Stop Light, I Depressed The Gas Pedal To Take Off .... As I Did This , The Pedal Went Almost All The Way Down To The Floor . I Was Able To Idle Over To The Side Of The Road . I Looked Under The Hood To Check For Perhaps A Loose/broken Spring Near The Carb? I Didnt Find Anything There . I Got Back Into My Truck And Depressed The Gas Pedal Again. It Was About Half Inch Near The Floorboard When I Was Finally Able To Have Some Throttle (enough To Be Able To Drive Home). I Looked Under The Hood Again Near The Carb To See If Maybe I Could Find A Spring Layin On Top Of The Manifold. I Didnt Find Anything. I Do See A Spring At The Front Part Of The Carb But That Is Intact. Can Someone Confirm That There Is A Spring That Runs Along The Side Of The Carb Allowing My Gas Pedal To Return To Its Back Position?? Unless There Is A Spring Assembly Under/behind The Engine , I Assumed It Would Be Up Near The Carburetor. I Wish I Could See A Picture Of A Stock Carburetor Assembly To Compare. As You Can Tell , Im Not An Expert On Engines Lol . Thank You All For Your Time . I Appreciate It The Gas Pedal Still Sits Near The Floorboard As Of Now. Please Help . Thanks Again :-x22

Old 08-02-2004, 06:34 AM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, there is a throttle return spring. If you are hitting the gas and its going half way down and you don't have any power you might look at the funky looking lever system that is bolted to the back of the intake (if you have an auto tranny). Sometimes these break.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Mr.Majestyk
Freshman User
BY GOLLY RATSMOKER YOUR EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!! I DROVE IT OVER TO MY MECHANIC SO HE COULD TAKE A LOOK AT IT . I WAS CERTAIN A SPRING WAS THE CULPRIT. I WAS WRONG . UPON TAKING THE AIR CLEANER COVER OF AND ASKING ME TO DEPRESS THE THROTTLE, HE NOTICED THE FUNKY LINKAGE SYSTEM YOUR TALKING ABOUT HAD A CRACK ON THE BOTTOM . IT WAS CRACKED IN TWO. THAT CAUSED A SEVERE "LAZY" CONDITION OF THAT PARTICULARLY LINKAGE SETUP. HE MANAGED TO TIE SOME PLASTIC TIES TO THAT LINKAGE TO HOLD IT TOGETHER WHILE HE SEARCHES FOR THE PART. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ON OF THOSE?? THANKS ALOT RATSMOKER . YOUR AWESOME.

Old 08-03-2004, 06:09 AM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The junkyard is about the only place out there man. I doubt ford can get them or you would want to pay the price for one brand new if they could.

Easy on them caps man! That is hard to read.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Mr.Majestyk
Freshman User
yeah he said he probably would have to look for one on one of his trips to the salvage yard . thanks alot ratsmoker. no caps lol take care man. i may have another question soon . i would appreciate your help again next time thanks pard

Old 08-03-2004, 11:21 PM
BB
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If he can't find one, tell him to just remove all that funky linkage and run a straight link from the lever on the firewall directly to the carb. He might have to bend it a little to clear the tranny kickdown if you have an auto.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Mr.Majestyk
Freshman User
thanks alot bb . i will let him know . i appreciate your help