1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Newbie needs advice on 1997 E-350.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 01:39 AM
sweetsound2001
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needs advice on 1997 E-350.

Greetings fellow Econoline owners.

I just purchased a 1997 E-350 XLT from a friend of mine, and I have some questions.

The car has 246k miles and 6.8 V10 engine. It used to be a passenger van, but all the seats have been removed to use it as a cargo van. I paid $3400 for the car (is that a good price?) I'm coming from a 1994 GMC Vandura 2500, and here is what I noticed.

1. Suspension is extremely stiff (aftermarket yellow struts, not Monroe). It's very bouncy, especially on the freeway. Are there any better options to improve ride quality? The tires are Firestone Steeltex A/T. Are All-Terrain required for this car, or is there is a better tire?

2. Steering wheel has lots of play and vibration in it, especially at higher speeds.

3. There is an occasional clunk from the rear end, when I accelerate.

4. The engine occasionally makes the car surge forward, as I'm slowing down.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Anton

Old 08-02-2004, 09:04 PM
taxidriver
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetsound2001

I just purchased a 1997 E-350 XLT from a friend of mine, and I have some questions.

The car has 246k miles and 6.8 V10 engine. It used to be a passenger van, but all the seats have been removed to use it as a cargo van. I paid $3400 for the car (is that a good price?) I'm coming from a 1994 GMC Vandura 2500, and here is what I noticed.

1. Suspension is extremely stiff (aftermarket yellow struts, not Monroe). It's very bouncy, especially on the freeway. Are there any better options to improve ride quality? The tires are Firestone Steeltex A/T. Are All-Terrain required for this car, or is there is a better tire?

You should probably replace all the shocks. All terrrain tires are not required. When I bought my 1997 new it had Michelins 225 75 16 highway tires on it

2. Steering wheel has lots of play and vibration in it, especially at higher speeds.

Have a Mechanic check that out.

Sounds like the U-joint needs replacing.

I don't know.

Thank you.

Anton
PS...I have a 1997 E-350 5.4 liter V-8 with 221,000 miles in it. I would say you got a fair deal, not a great deal... that's alot of miles on it already.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:56 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetsound2001

Thank you.

Anton
The tires are too stiff for a good ride, but built to handle heavy loads. Changing to a passenger tire will help, but you're probably goping to want to replace the shocks too. The sound like they have too much dampening, again, built for heavy loads.

Ford vans are notorious for sloppy steering, at 246K you for sure need some front end work done. If it's that stiff it may need to be lubed, if it's not too late.

The clunk may be u-joints, pinion gear, ring gear, spider gears are all the above.

The surge is probably the throttle position sensor, it needs to be adjusted.

The 246K is a great sign that the V-10 is a well built, well engineered engine. I expect 250K out of mine, it's good to see there are engines with that many miles on them.

Good luck, Ken