Boring and Piston Repl. for #2 Cyl.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 08:23 PM
fordflaresides
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boring and Piston Repl. for #2 Cyl.

Will boring and replacing piston and rings in just the #2 cylinder effect the compression ratio in that cylinder at all if a I use a stock type piston? The 240 in my '73 still has good compression in all the other cylinders and I can do the labor of pulling the engine out and taking it apart myself and a friend can bore the cylinder for me so I would be saving a lot of cash vs. rebuilding the whole engine, if this won't effect the c.r. by having a little more area to compress in that cyl. Also if I have the head rebuilt with valves for unleaded gas do you think this will help quite a bit too in restoring lost power.

Old 07-29-2004, 08:26 PM
fordflaresides
Elder User
Just realized having new rings and cyl. walls combined w/ more compression area will probably raise compression in that cyl. above the others, so my question is will this make the engine run unevenly or anything?

Old 07-29-2004, 10:18 PM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've seen big diesel inlines with one or more cylinders bored out and others still standard bore.

It's alot cheaper than to take metal off a perfectly good sleeve and be that much closer to resleeving a hole and they don't seem to need rebalancing even though not all of the pistons weigh exactly the same.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:23 PM
fordflaresides
Elder User
Does the 240 use sleeves? I thought the cylinders where bored right into the block on this engine. If this engine uses sleeves I'd rather put a new sleeve in and keep the bore the same in all cylinders.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:39 PM
oldhalftons
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no, the 240/300 doesn't use sleeves.

Old 07-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Phrogman46
Senior User
I would not do it my self. If I'm going to take the time to remove the motor and all the crap on the motor I'm going to do a full refab. New cam, ARP rod bolts, Forged pistons, Head work, all new bearings, and ect. I don't know how it would throw off the ballance to do one slug, since the weight would have to be diffrent. But hey that's just me.

Chris

Old 07-30-2004, 11:00 PM
mrkon
New User
stock car racers used to do this (and some may still) it was very common to find old race cars with back cylinders bigger than the rest. shouldn't affect the engine too bad.