6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Quick EGR disconnect question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 09:26 AM
chandlerbf
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick EGR disconnect question

Ok I've done a lot of reading about the EGR disconnect on this site and I'm ready to try it. Just want to be clear if I will have my engine light come on or codes show up. I get the impression if I make sure my truck is off when I do it, my engine light won't come on but a couple of error codes will show up. Is it true these can be cleared by simply disconnecting the battery? Also, does anything else (other than the radio/clock) get reset by disconnecting the battery? Thanks for any help in advance. Oh forgot to mention my truck is an 04/04 F350.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:02 AM
montanacw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 04/04 F350, and I disconected mine, no check eng light, mpgs did change for the better and it feels like there is less delay when mashing the excelerator. But the most important is not reburning the exhaust and clogging the intake. I work for a VW dealer and the egr systems on our TDI's realy do a number and cost the customer
big $$$$ to fix. When you disconect your batt to erase fault codes, you will have to reset your radio and clock, and your transmission will also have to re-learn its shift patterns. Other than that its simple and harmless and well worth it.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:22 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you disconnect the battery, you will have to go through a procedure for the PCM to learn your idle. Look in your owner manual. You need to let it idle until it warms up with all accessories off. Then you let it idle for one minute. Let it idle for another minute with the A/C on. Then go drive it normally for 10 miles so that it learns the proper idle and mixtures.