E-150 Intake manifold gasket on a 300

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 11:48 PM
Tymult
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E-150 Intake manifold gasket on a 300

Hey everyone...first time here
Wondering what I really need to get out of the way to do an lower intake gasket on a 300...I'm good w/the minor/intermediate maintenance, but after reading on combined manifolds, this is startin to seem above my head. Can I just take out the bolts for both manifolds and sneak the gasket(s) in on a 1990 E-150 w/out removing a lot of other stuff?

Old 07-25-2004, 02:06 AM
fordflaresides
Elder User
Doesn't sound like a good idea too me, the inline 6 manifolds can be hard to get to seal right doing it the right way. Trying to jam the gasket in without taking them off will most likely lead to leaks.

Old 07-25-2004, 09:13 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,659 Likes on 1,539 Posts
You need to remove the manifolds from the engine. You must clean the old gasket off the head to get a good seal. The manifolds can be removed as a unit. Remove the carb and down pipe first. The major problem will be the down pipe stud nuts. Catalog the vacuum lines before removal. When you place the manifolds back on, put the bolts/nuts on and use a torque wrench to tighten the bolts. That will reduce the risk of leaks.

28 - 32 ft/lbs

Old 07-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Tymult
New User
If it were carbureted, I'd be a lil less intimidated....It's EFI, I'm tryin to avoid takin apart the big honkin intake....basically, can I just take the bolts out of the manifolds, and pull the intake back enough to fit the gasket in place?