6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Need 6.0 advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 07:42 AM
ToddSr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need 6.0 advise

Vehicle Background - F-350, 6.0; MFG 03/03. The truck has been flashed 3x and I'm told is current. A new injector was installed a few months ago and the cam positioning sensor has been replaced. The vehicle has 30K on it and is used dilay to tow a work trailer @ approx 4K

Current dilema:

Intermittent check engine light - Vehicle sounds muffled just prior to the engine light coming on. Conditon usually lasts 1-2 days and then the light goes out. This conition has been repeated several times over the past few months.

Frequently, but not consistently, the idle on the vehicle drops dramatically. Often times at a traffic light it sounds as if the truck has shut off. Only after hitting the accelorator does the normal "diesel" sound return?

Also.... What I'm told is "turbo wash" seems to come and go with no distinct pattern.

On the advise of a mechanic, I unplugged the lead going to the filter minder and nave not experienced any check engine lights in tha past few weeks. The idle and turbo issues, however, still remain.

I'm loyal but am losing patience. This next trip will make 9 in the past year. I'm confident in my service dep't but can sense their frustration as well. I would appreciate any feedback that I can provide to them to help with these issues.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:30 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WHAT ? --- unplugging the filterminder corrected your problem ?!!!

That is a new one I've NEVER heard of --- someones getting REAL creative here
And does the 6-oh HAVE a Cam Positining Sensor - I thought that was just in the 7.3?

I would not be confident at ALL in my mechanic - I'd RUN to where a certified 6-oh diesel mechanic is !

If your surgeon took nine tries to get your heart valve fixed would you be confident in him ??????????????????????

Old 07-24-2004, 08:38 AM
ToddSr
New User
Exclamation Response

I'm not a car guy so I have no idea waht parts are different between the 7.3 and 6.0 . I just have a service ticket showing replacement of the camshaft poistioning sensor.

Also...on a recent visit to my dealer the air flow sensor showed up a problem code but none were in stock. The suggestion to unplug was our attempt to further isolate the problem. Might not have been a good idea but I'm trying!

Old 07-24-2004, 09:15 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
unplug ur egr. worth a try. if u need help on this, refer to the thread on this at the top of the thread list

Old 07-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
You don't need to figure this out. Take it to a different dealer, one who has competent mechanics.

Old 07-25-2004, 01:48 PM
ToddSr
New User
I appreciate the input. I'm new to the site, and find it both profesionally done and extremely informative.

A couple of questions though:

Do my current problems seem routine for an early 03? My dealer seems to fix each issue that arises but new problems seem to come up.

Are there any specific remedies that I can recommend?

I've read alot recently about the aftermarket "chips" such as the predator. Since the system re-flashes the computer could it help to solve my re-occurring issues?

Old 07-25-2004, 01:51 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ToddSr
I appreciate the input. I'm new to the site, and find it both profesionally done and extremely informative.

A couple of questions though:

Do my current problems seem routine for an early 03? My dealer seems to fix each issue that arises but new problems seem to come up.

Are there any specific remedies that I can recommend?

I've read alot recently about the aftermarket "chips" such as the predator. Since the system re-flashes the computer could it help to solve my re-occurring issues?
there are quite a few people that report the predator has solved their driveability problems. if u dont mind the "cover-up" its def worth a try i know i would..... and i doubt ull be unhappy with the performance