6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Duramaxkiller
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic converter

Was wondering about removing the CAT from my 04 f350sd 6.0 ? anyone remove theirs...What about warranty I called Ford and my service writer and Shop foreman...they did not know...I said theres no emissions law in PA nor is it required on a 1-ton vehicle ....Anyones input would be appreciated...

Old 07-21-2004, 02:00 PM
wolffee
Elder User
i just went to my dealer here in florida where we have no emissions as well and they told me it COULD void the warranty if ford wants to. They said it changes the back pressure to the engine therefore if somewhere to go wrong if Ford wanted to they coulld say it was a cause.Stinks i dont know what to do either..

Old 07-21-2004, 02:07 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For what it's worth...
your manual states it's a FEDERAL Emission Law to keep it in place... Not a state law... maybe not tested in your state... but it is a law

And some that did 1/4 mile test and dynos noticed NO difference with or without it...
Much more benefit could be had from removing the muffler or at least replacing it with a better flowing muffler....
for best results get a turbo back exhaust...

Old 07-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Duramaxkiller
Freshman User
I have the banks monster cat back..already since march...just curious about the cat thats all....thanks for the input...

Old 07-21-2004, 04:54 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Duramaxkiller
I have the banks monster cat back..already since march...just curious about the cat thats all....thanks for the input...
if ur concerned, take it off, chop all the crap out of it and re-install it. its now a straight pipe

Old 07-21-2004, 05:43 PM
southernfordman
Senior User
my ford dealer told me to take my cat off and they gave me a place to go to.

Old 07-21-2004, 07:20 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Remember though - what your dealers says is almost meaningless when it comes to what FORd or the FEDS say ---
I promise you "My dealer said...." won't carry much weight with either entity
Just my $.00000002

Old 07-21-2004, 07:23 PM
ninelives 59
Senior User
I got rid of mine when I went to a full exhaust system.I spoke with my ford service consultant and he told I would be fine unless a major problem should come up.I still have all my old hardware just incase though.I found that getting rid of the cat did not make a great difference.It has a loud whistle out of the tail pipe now than before.

Old 07-21-2004, 09:03 PM
04superduty
Elder User
if you do get caught its alot of $$. something about it being a federal offense.

Old 07-21-2004, 09:08 PM
OMCUSNR
Senior User
It is a FEDERAL violation to remove or tamper with the emissions portion of your vehicle (but then again, so is making a little shine). You probably would never have anyone say anything about it.

HOWEVER, you might want to keep it if you decide to take it off, (& for cripes sake don't "gut" it). In 07, you're going to need it. The main reason they're putting these thing in, is to get people used to having it when the ULSD becomes mandatory.

You might want to consider using a little biodiesel when the ULSD comes in too, if not before. Its better lubricity is a real boon for these trucks.

Old 07-22-2004, 05:55 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Originally Posted by OMCUSNR
It is a FEDERAL violation to remove or tamper with the emissions portion of your vehicle (but then again, so is making a little shine). You probably would never have anyone say anything about it.

HOWEVER, you might want to keep it if you decide to take it off, (& for cripes sake don't "gut" it). In 07, you're going to need it. The main reason they're putting these thing in, is to get people used to having it when the ULSD becomes mandatory.

You might want to consider using a little biodiesel when the ULSD comes in too, if not before. Its better lubricity is a real boon for these trucks.
and do what with the cat if you do take it off?

Are you running biodiesel. I would like to see long term results on todays injectors using biodiesel. Different chemical compounds.

BTW, I heard that they found the spotted owl was mating with barn owls and even found one nesting in a Kmart sign. That true? Just curious since Oregon is the close neighbor to North of the People's Republic of California.

Old 07-22-2004, 10:00 AM
04 LARIAT STROKER
Senior User
if i take out the cat to put in a straight pipe, how can i get a flange made to fit the one from the down pipe where to resonator hooks on to it?...any ideas

Old 07-22-2004, 06:22 PM
southernfordman
Senior User
My muffler shop cut my flange off from the down pipe to cat and welded a straight pipe on, that was before i put the 4 inch exhaust on. And there are no emission tests in tennessee until july 2005 so i have a year to put a cat back on.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Choctaw Bob
Postmaster
Originally Posted by southernfordman
My muffler shop cut my flange off from the down pipe to cat and welded a straight pipe on, that was before i put the 4 inch exhaust on. And there are no emission tests in tennessee until july 2005 so i have a year to put a cat back on.
Gale Bands sis a dybo test and flow tests of these Cats and swears there is no difference. Cut the cat back until you can weld it to 4"pipe.

The outlet flange on the turbo is 3.5" so using a 4" on that will only cause turbulance. Use a 3.5 downpipe to the cat and 4" back.

Old 07-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Bonofied Suitor
New User
On my 2004 Crewcab I noticed an improvement in fuel economy when I replaced my exhaust system and took out the cat. I now have a 3-1/2" to 4" downtube and 4" stainless to a magnaflow muffler. There's very little difference in sound, a small power increase and about a 2-mpg improvement on the highway. I also have a AFE intake system otherwise the engine is stock. My truck is lifted 4" and has 35" tires. Keep the cat in case you have to put it back on someday. They are about $700-$800 if you have to buy one from Ford later. It seems to me that using 10% - 20% less fuel would cut pollution more than leaving it on would. Big oil and our government prefers to sacrifice fuel economy for reduced emmisions. I'd rather try for 18 MPG and reduce pollution that way. My Dodge Durango was far less efficient than my much larger and more powerful Super-Duty. Before I changed my exhaust, when I'd be coming back from my cabin I used to have to fill up 120 miles out from home. This last trip with the new exhaust system I got back to Las Vegas and still had 1/4 tank. That's a big improvement. It was hot and the A/C was running the whole time.

Quick Reply: Catalytic converter