Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Hemi hype

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 06:21 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
I would like to make a comment on this thread, for a bit it started to move in a direction of bating and a little personal attacks………it stopped and all of you realized what was happening.
It was getting heated…………you all pulled it back in….

THANK YOU

Great debates are stimulating, enlightens, and at times fun.
Thanks guys for acting like the intelligent individuals you are.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:39 AM
abmobil
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One guy on titan talk has posted his dyno sheets, his put down 273hp and 339 lb ft of torque bone stock. with a intake system, and exhaust it put down 293hp andv 357 lb ft of torque. Considering its rated at 305hp, those appear to be very impressive numbers.

Old 07-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Alton Ray
Junior User
[QUOTE=tkondro]Your wrong, the chevy denali tows more !QUOTE]

Chevy Denali????? I don't think that vehicle exists. I believe you are referring to the GMC Denali. I maybe wrong on this let me know if I am. Just giving you a hard time tkondro. As far as the hemis go I really can't say much having not driven one. Personally, even if I had driven a Hemi and did think that it had more power than the Tritons I've driven I would still probably buy the Ford. Like the looks and history much better. Can't afford either one right now!

Just my two cents.

AR

Last edited by Alton Ray; 07-16-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:00 PM
tamnjoe
New User
All I know is my buddy bought a new hemi 4X4. It has about 12k on it now and all I heard from him is how it would kill my 1989 f250 xtracab 4X4. Well about a month ago we finally raced. Needless to say I dont hear how his hemi can take my old ford anymore. The only place he got me was on top end. I have a C6 and ran out of gearing. What made it even better was the next day he needed a ride home from the dealer in my old ford due to the hemi breaking AGAIN.

Old 07-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Armada
Senior User
Originally Posted by abmobil
One guy on titan talk has posted his dyno sheets, his put down 273hp and 339 lb ft of torque bone stock. with a intake system, and exhaust it put down 293hp andv 357 lb ft of torque. Considering its rated at 305hp, those appear to be very impressive numbers.
Yea, I'd rather go by data than "seat of the pants." Here's some I posted on another thread here:

http://www.truckworld.com/Truck-Test...-4way-num.html

The F-150 was actually pretty close to the Hemi in a lot of categories. The Titan was impressive, both empty and towing a 4100 lb. boat. I remain of the view that the F-150 is the best light 1/2 ton truck but for needing some more ponies and a 5 speed. The parts are on the shelf if Ford will just use them.

Old 07-16-2004, 04:40 PM
bassdude
Elder User
Originally Posted by Ev2Demon
The fact is that the numbers don't lie. In spite of how the truck may have felt, every test, both published and unpublished, conclusively show that the Hemi out runs and out pulls both comparable offerings from GM and Ford. It is quicker both loaded and unloaded. Only the Titan can match, or even beat it in some cases.
numbers don't mean squat. dyno's can be manipulated. the thread starter said, in his opinion the hemi truck didn't feel as strong as his 5.4. the only way you can dispute his claim is to go test drive the two trucks in question , then make your own judgment. and we all know what that would be......right? to who ever said seat of the pants feel doesn't matter i beg to differ. if i spend 30 G's on a truck thats all that matters. i couldn't care less about HP this and torque that. i care about how it feels when i drive it.

Last edited by bassdude; 07-16-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Armada
Senior User
Originally Posted by bassdude
numbers don't mean squat. dyno's can be manipulated. the thread starter said, in his opinion the hemi truck didn't feel as strong as his 5.4. the only way you can dispute his claim is to go test drive the two trucks in question , then make your own judgment. and we all know what that would be......right? your basically calling him a lier for saying his truck felt stronger than the dodge.
Politely, let me say I don't think anyone is saying anyone else is a liar. I'm saying my "seat pants" aren't that sensitive. Objective testing of comparable vehicles side-by-side is more credible with me, that's all. I know folks can play games with dynos, but I'd rather place my bet with a dyno test consistent with a truck which consistently out accelerated and out pulls the Hemi in almost every published test, than with my back side impression. Just one opinion.

Old 07-16-2004, 04:52 PM
bassdude
Elder User
after re-reading my post i didn't like the way that came out so i changed it. i'll stick with the 'seat of the pants' though.

Last edited by bassdude; 07-16-2004 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:39 PM
ChristopherX55
New User
All I Know is My Friends Stock Hemi 2WD Reg Cab keeps my Camaro in check (can't beat me but close) and for a cheap truck that forces me to give him and his truck respect

Old 07-17-2004, 01:20 AM
FORD352V8
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lets face it. The denali is a freakin grocery getter for people who want to drive around a fancy SUV. Try hauling a load of lumber with it without a trailer pretty hard to do. By no means is it a truck because it can haul a 10,000 pound trailer. and also the payload is a joke 2200 pounds is nothing you fill that capacity up with a load of passegners.=) just kidding but seriously the denail is not a truck and will never be.

Old 07-17-2004, 02:20 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
Ford352V8
"Try hauling a load of lumber with it without a trailer pretty hard to do."

Care to explain w/ facts what you mean by this? Why is it not a truck? Were you kidding about the whole post?

Old 07-17-2004, 02:35 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
"The F-150s maximum payload is 3,000 for the Ford that tows 9,900 pounds, so the F-150 beats the Denali by 800 pounds. The Denali only beats the Denali by 100 pounds in towing. So, the Chevrolet can tow 100 pounds more than the Ford, maybe one toolbox on a trailer, but the Ford can haul 800 pounds, a whole piece of equipment more than the Denali. All in all, I'd say that the Ford has the edge."

You're correct until you take into account that the f150 #'s you posted are for a 2WD reg. cab. If you change it to be more comparable to a denali (4X4 ext. cab) you see that it has a whopping 60 lb. (2260 lbs.) advantage(and yes this is w/ the HD payload). wow.

Last edited by tdister; 07-17-2004 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:16 PM
superdutymj
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this thread is getting a little off subject. the matter at hand is the DODGE HEMI. i have had two good friends that have opted for this engine in the 3/4 ton platform, and the engine locked up when they were well under payload. the first friend had a crew cab 4x4 3/4 ton, less than 2 months old, and took a tandem axle car trailer loaded with four 4 wheelers to Glamis in SoCal. on the way back near loveland pass in colorado, his hemi locked up on the way up the pass. he had it towed to a dealer in denver, where they gave him two options. first, he could drive a loaner home to kansas and let them put a new hemi in his brand new truck and deliver it back to him. or, he could trade in the truck as if it were in running order on a different truck and pay the difference. he opted for the second, and took home a brand new diesel. the second friend was hauling his dune buggy on a tandem axle trailer down to Little Sahara in Oklahoma. On the way home, his hemi locked up too. He just had a new engine installed. ill stick with my Triton V10, as they say, dont send a boy (hemi) to do a man's job.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:28 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdister
"The F-150s maximum payload is 3,000 for the Ford that tows 9,900 pounds, so the F-150 beats the Denali by 800 pounds. The Denali only beats the Denali by 100 pounds in towing. So, the Chevrolet can tow 100 pounds more than the Ford, maybe one toolbox on a trailer, but the Ford can haul 800 pounds, a whole piece of equipment more than the Denali. All in all, I'd say that the Ford has the edge."

You're correct until you take into account that the f150 #'s you posted are for a 2WD reg. cab. If you change it to be more comparable to a denali (4X4 ext. cab) you see that it has a whopping 60 lb. (2260 lbs.) advantage(and yes this is w/ the HD payload). wow.
Well, that's the configuration of the hardest working truck there is. I guess if you change things around until the Denali is on top, then it will be on top, but the simple fact is that the Ford outworks it, in 2wd.

Old 07-18-2004, 05:47 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
"Well, that's the configuration of the hardest working truck there is. I guess if you change things around until the Denali is on top, then it will be on top, but the simple fact is that the Ford outworks it, in 2wd."

Thanks for re-clarifying that

Quick Reply: Hemi hype