Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Over heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 07:14 PM
treverard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over heating

okay, well, I may give more information then anyone needs, but if anyone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it.

So, I was driving my 99 Explorer Sport (5 spd) from Houston to Austin today, and realized that my A/C was blowing warm air. I checked my temp gauge, and it was basically pegged (not quite the red zone, but close.) I shut down the A/C, hit the heat (which sucked, driving across 95 degree TX, but ya know.) and the temp dropped back to a high, but manageable level.

I stopped and looked, and the overflow tank was empty, so I filled it w/ coolant and water, then went on my way... it didn't

So, I stopped and picked up a Thermostat on the way home.

While it was cooling off, I was reading hte book, and it said that if the top radiator hose is hot, that the thermo isn't stuck shut.... so I went out, drove around the block, and the hose WAS hot... but I think I'm gonna change it anyways.

Oh yeah, last point...

There's a click coming from the power distribution box... kinda a human heartbeat like "click-click.............................click-click...................
......click-click" coming from it. It doesn't seem to be coming from any of the relays in particular though.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah... last point.... level in the overflow tank (which is now very full) doesn't seem to be changing much between hot and cold.

Old 07-13-2002, 12:36 AM
reberhardt
Elder User
Over heating

I am sure you will find out it is your thermostat. Two years ago a lot of '97s SOHCs were having failed thermostats. Last year it was the '98s. This year I have seen probably 10 '99s that have had their thermostats fail.

Old 07-13-2002, 03:38 PM
treverard
New User
Over heating

Done, and it was the thermo...

thanks for the input....

BTW... anyone know how much I saved doing it myself? (So I can go spend it on toys )

Old 07-15-2002, 04:28 PM
reberhardt
Elder User
Over heating

I think Ford charged my warranty company about $120 to replace mine a couple of years ago.

Old 07-15-2002, 05:16 PM
97 XLT
New User
Over heating