Computer Chips & Tuners  

Superchips

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:49 PM
thedog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Superchips

I have a Superchip 1705 I purchased a couple of years ago. I use it in my 2002 F250 SD, 7.3L Turbo and have had no problems with it. I was told that it had two settings, one at 70hp and the other at 90hp. I take it that in the towing mod, it is set at the 70hp and in the Perf Mod, it is set at 90hp. Is this right?? or is it 60 and 80hp. From reading the site, Superchips will modify my Tuner to 70,90 and 110?. Since I've had my Tuner I have always had in the towing mod. I've never had any problems and tow a 26.5 5th wheel and a 17 ft boat behind that. I have been thinking about going to 4" exhaust as I will probably upgrade my Tuner. I have the tranny gauge on the truck. Is there anything else I should be doing/adding as a precaution, etc..
By the way , love this site, very informative. Just for info, I took out hte GPS one day and had the truck up to 119 miles per hour. I was in the red at about 4100 and backed off, the truck was still picking up. No problems in smoking the new Duramax.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:21 AM
gmcplus03
Senior User
the old 1705 had two horse powers 60 and 80, tow safe was 60 and tow perf was 80. superchips does have a max tuner with 3 settings 70, 90, 110. as far as being able to modify your tuner, i dont know. the exhaust will help out, i would also suggest a cold air intake and possibly an exhaust temp guage. im a service manager in a diesel repair shop and we put different power accesories on all makes and models. congrats in smoking the new duramax, does my heart good to hear that lol. am a ford fan even though my screen name doesnt say so. cant afford a diesel right now, but i do have an 04 f150 5.4.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:28 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Superchips was charging $200 last year to upgrade the units to 3 tunes. Don't know if they still do.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:48 PM
thedog
New User
Thanks for the info GMC and yes Ken they still charge $200 to upgrade, emailed them last nite and got their reply this a.m.They'll do it for 200 plus shipping costs, etc..
Forthe frist time today, I switch from Tow mod to Perf mod, couldn't believe the diff, you definately can tell. (Guess I'll have to take the GPS out again)
Would a 4 " Exhaust add any extra h.p. I'm not a mechanic by any means and don't know much about diesels, except watch the gauges and change the oil regularily(may as well be honest about it). The cold air intake, is this an upgrade?? do you just buy it and replace the one thats on there or does it have to go into a shop for changing?? Same with the exhaust gauge, is it something that can be added on.. or should it be taken into a shop to be installed, etc.. Costs, any ideas?? I am in Northern Manitoba, Canada and it would be a drive for me to get these items, guess thats why I am asking if I would be able to do it myself, etc..
Thanks,
thedog

Old 07-07-2004, 01:53 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, a 4" will ad extra... but the biggest benefit is significantly lower exhaust temperatures. Cold air will help as well. Both can be installed by you. See here:

http://www.motorhaven.com/customer/home.php?cat=30
and
http://www.motorhaven.com/customer/home.php?cat=48