Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2000 F250 SD 7.3L rapid clicking on start

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 10:50 PM
mikels
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 F250 SD 7.3L rapid clicking on start

My PSD will click rapidly on start after sitting for a bit. It has become more prominant. I hear a "growl" when I first turn the key to acc...Then when I crank it, the starter turnes the engine and it wont start. All the while I hear a rapid clicking while it is turning (It sounds like a relay that wont seat). Is this the ever famed glow plug relay?

Old 07-06-2004, 08:52 AM
SBFD8
Senior User
Thumbs up

Try and see if it is the starter relay it is on the inside of the right front fender above the vacuum pump. cheap to buy and simple to replace I had a problem with mine. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2004, 01:55 PM
mikels
New User
Starter Relay

Wouldn't a faulty starter relay keep the starter from turning at all? Mine will turn the engine but will not start up.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:26 AM
8mpg
New User
single click usually means basically dead battery...

rapid clicking usually means not enough amps to crank over the starter.

Check the charge on the batteries and start there. Clean the battery terminals if they are dirty

Old 07-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Ditto on the batteries. Sounds like weak batteries to me too.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:11 PM
mikels
New User
checked all grounds

I had a load test done on both batteries which turned out fine. I then cleaned the posts on both batteries and checked all ground connections which were tight. I turned the key on for the wait to start and still got the growl, and again when the light goes out to start the truck it starts clicking and no start. When I turn all off and start over, no growl and no clicking, and a start. I appreciate all of the input on this issue.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by mikels
I had a load test done on both batteries which turned out fine. I then cleaned the posts on both batteries and checked all ground connections which were tight. I turned the key on for the wait to start and still got the growl, and again when the light goes out to start the truck it starts clicking and no start. When I turn all off and start over, no growl and no clicking, and a start. I appreciate all of the input on this issue.
What is the condition of the battery cables? Any visible corrosion? I've seen good batteries fail miserably trying to push good current through corroded cables, producing a weak battery symtom.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:28 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Sounds to me like it could be a glow plug relay. The glow plug relay also clicks as it turns on. Try checking that next.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:53 PM
mikels
New User
problem solved

Hey thanks to all with input. Problem is solved. Mental note: Do not load test batteries while they are in series. You will get the same reading. I should have known this but didn't think of it. I took the serie hot lead off the batteries and put a meter on the seperately. One Read 12.something volts and the other read 11.2 volts. I suspected the 11 was bad since the truck was just running it should have had a better charge than that. Took it out and to the store. Load test showed it was bad. Replaced it with an 850CC and it starts up just fine. Thanks to all. You all saved me some money.

Mike

Old 07-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
That's good that you figured it out. But I would go and get the other battery replaced too. There is a good chance that the old one will shorten the life of the new one.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:16 AM
woody_f250
Senior User
This is the same thing mine does, but only when it's cold. It's been doing it for about a year now. I've always thought it was the glow plugs, but I can skip the heat cycle (wait to start light) and it will start. Am I off base, thinking it's glow plugs?

Old 08-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woody_f250
This is the same thing mine does, but only when it's cold. It's been doing it for about a year now. I've always thought it was the glow plugs, but I can skip the heat cycle (wait to start light) and it will start. Am I off base, thinking it's glow plugs?
By skipping the glow plug heating cycle, you've just effectively ruled them out as a cause. Seems odd if it were a bad battery that it would last a year, though.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:44 AM
woody_f250
Senior User
My truck still has it's original batteries and it has 130,000 miles. The only thing that baffles me is that it only has trouble on the initial start up for the day and it always does it when it is cold.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:54 AM
rocman01
New User
Starting Problems

I have a 97 F250 Powerstroke and when I try to start it I head rapid ckicke in the Dash, when I turn the key to start it chuggs but wont start. If I keep the key in the run position and jump arc the posts on the starter relay it starts up an runs just fine. I replaced the starter relay thinking that would solve the problem, but it didn't. The shift lever is solid and it doesn't help to wiggle it or put in neutral. Any ideas?

Old 12-22-2016, 04:11 AM
James Gay
New User
Quote:
Originally Posted by agr682 View Post
Hey guys, I have an issue with my 2001 f350 PSD. Intermmittently it will not start. It will crank really quick, but will not even try to start. I think it is not getting fuel. There are no CEL codes and I have a WTS light and the tach is moving while cranking. I hear a clicking/buzzing soun coming from under te center opf the dash. When I hear that sound it will not start. checked fuses and relays and it started before. not sure if removig the fue made whatever reset. this has happened a couple times. Now it will not reset. When I remove the number #24 fuse under the hood, the clicking stops. when i crank it, but still doesnt start. Anybody sen a similar issue. Whe it starts in runs perfect. Drained the batteries trying to trouble shoot, but have them charger now. All help is appreciated. It only has 130K

SIMILAR ISSUE
2001 f350 7.3, have same symptoms as AGR682, buzzing with no start. Hot, cold, infrequent follows no pattern. I will run for two- three hours and restart is same. I carry battery charger everywhere I go. Increased voltage from 8 amp charger consistently fires it off, no waiting. Any answer for AGR682 ? And myself. Repeated cranking typically is successful even with battery rundown from multiple tries, this is argument against low battery voltage. Can always tell that when buzzing disappears that it will crank 100% of time, however batteries can't last in winter due to temp and ghost in the machine. Love the diesel but can't leave yard without extension cord. Also hear growl from initial energize. Had replaced batteries during this problem with no benefit, also, quickly depletes charge overnight, must have small short,

Quick Reply: 2000 F250 SD 7.3L rapid clicking on start