Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

some stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 01:50 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for a driver in the summer its trial and error i guess, if it runs cooler or how sludged, worn etc. no less than 10 weight, but i would throw heavier if you hear a lot of noise or drive it hard a lot.
some eye candy down there, but i dont look.....enough.....lol
your never too young to be a dirty old man.
porkies is probaly a wash this week anyways.

i moved the shed yesterday, and when i was pullung stuff out i noticed that them 289 heads look like new still. i think they have hardened seats too.

Old 08-08-2004, 07:57 AM
billsco
Elder User
I'm hoping to get some work out in the garage on Doug today. First I've got to work on my snowmobile trailer a bit, which I use for pulling my 4 wheelers with also. One of my tires was going flat so I was going to fix it but it was impossible to wrench loose the lug nuts. Those things get welded onto the lugs when we use them on our winter roads. I had to heat them to get them to move. I would have been up the creek without the paddle if I had to change it out on the road, so I bought some anti-seize compound and am going to treat both wheels. Ever use that stuff? I think it's the greatest invention since rubber vomit. HAHA

Old 08-12-2004, 06:07 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
i had to pull the heads on the cleveland, a few of the valves got bent because they froze in the guides, bent the pushrods and bent the valves. luckily i got another set courtesy of subcoolman. i will get all new hardware and take them to cylinder head and get them decked out. i dont think i am going to rooster this time. the bores had no ridges and the pistons were real clean. the bottom end shouldnt give me any trouble with the new chain and pump cam and lifters, and it sounded good when i pulled it.

Old 08-23-2004, 06:51 AM
billsco
Elder User
I may have found a donor truck this weekend. A guy I know claims his dad has a '60 sitting back in the woods. He said he'll pull it out before the snow flies. Should be interesting to see what comes out. Those 57-60 trucks are hard to identify by the year unless you're familiar with them. Mostly the hoods changed, and that's what I need yet.

Other than that I've been too busy having fun this summer to do any work on Doug. We're planning a trip to the State Fair this Friday, and I can't wait for french fries and all the other goodies.

Are you going to have Bessie running for a fall cruise?

Old 08-23-2004, 04:30 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
i think i will be more or less shooting for back to the 50's. i pulled the heads b/c a few of the valves siezed and bent from the way i washed the motor and had it sitting. i ordered all new springs hardware n push rods and am going to have the heads subcoolman gave me done up. i have most the exhaust done and almost could have had it running, but i have been goin up north a lot.
up at my fathers farm he has a mid 80's f150 i am converting to points and ripping all the electronics out of. it already has a older carb and manual fuel pump. he has trouble keeping it running b/c the rebuilt carb on the 300 6 isnt jiving with the computer, the computer carb went bad and there is no tps on the older one thats on there. best just to finish going back to basics. its a nice work truck for the farm with 60,000 miles on it. i spent most of today tracking down parts and buying sheetmetal to make targets/ gun gongs. shoulders a little sore.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:40 AM
billsco
Elder User
Originally Posted by innecity4wheelin
i i spent most of today tracking down parts and buying sheetmetal to make targets/ gun gongs. shoulders a little sore.
Gun gongs? Do you mean spinning metal targets? What kind of gun were you shooting to give you a sore shoulder?

Old 08-25-2004, 07:55 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
i was shooting slugs with my 12 gauge remington express magnum, and got about 40 rounds through my 30/30, and fired a few out of his ruger and sks with heavy military ammo. i have never fired a rifle before that, the 22 was like a big cap gun, and the hand guns werent so bad either.
got the 84 running after 100 miles of running in the country between onamia and milaca trying to find the right parts after checker got me the wrong rotor before i went up there. the points worked ok, but i think we got some vacuum leaks some where, and i think i fixed the shot egr gasket. it has a slight miss, and i couldnt get spark at first either til i cleaned the points again. i hope to putz with it some more. think i will be able to get the a/c working too with a few more cans r134a.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:52 PM
billsco
Elder User
I can see how your shoulder got sore, that's a lot of rounds in one day. I'm a .270 man, I get along with that caliber well. I have a 32 Winchester Special too, very similar to the 30/30. The model 94's are such great guns--classic, handsome design and rugged utility all in one. I don't think I've ever fired a slug, never had the need to since I deer hunt up north. I enjoy lobbing out the .270 a few hundred yards. The year before last I nailed a deer at 375 yards, my longest shot to date. It's nice to know I'm shooting something that's designed to be lethal at that distance and well beyond. Do you deer hunt?

Old 08-31-2004, 01:55 PM
innecity4wheelin
Senior User
hoping to start deer hunting, never done it before though. i want to use more of the 12 gauge for deer, but i have a hard time sighting down the barrel with only a front beaded sight. i want to get a nice short vent ribbed barrel that can shoot slugs. for the price of the barrel i can almost pick up a good used remington 870, or take a step up to the semi-auto 12 gauge.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:09 AM
billsco
Elder User
There's got to be tons of used 870's around. Where are you planning on hunting, up near Milaca? Is that still slug area? I see doe permits have to be bought by Sept. 6th, I think I'll sign up for one this year.