Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Wives and Tools

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 10:34 AM
uk1050
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a second job that all the money is mine and can spend it on all the tools i want.

Old 07-09-2004, 04:48 PM
boond0cksaint
Senior User
my wife just bought a $9000.00 sewing machine for her hobby,she bought me a $600.00 craftsman roller bearing 3 tier box for my birthday last week,and $200.00 in tools. $9000.00 - $800.00 = $8200.00 i have to spend for tools before i catch up to her

Old 08-17-2004, 12:25 PM
Phillippio
Freshman User
Anything under $100 I just buy and put in the garage. Anything more than that takes a good explanation and justification speech. Then I wait for her to want something (the $100 thing goes both ways) and we both get what we want. Although, if the tool is required for a repair I just get it.

Old 08-17-2004, 03:26 PM
ZRX61
Senior User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
--McCullough 3516 Chainsaw. Cut up my mother-in-law.
Way to go!

Old 08-17-2004, 10:55 PM
BrotherD
Freshman User
My wife has come to the understanding that I am a tool junkie. Five different tool trucks stop at the shop. So I can usually get decent deals on stuff. The wife just says that if I need it for work get it. And we're good like that.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:53 PM
HiDesertRat
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"I'm the boss in my house and I have my wife's permission to say so!"

If she needs something done or built, I tell her the tools I will need. She is real understanding about it all. She has worked side by side with me on several projects and understands the need for the proper tool. Large dollar items we discuss and pick out together, I usually start out on the high end side and she on the low end. Normally, we end up in the middle somewhere, most of the time at the tool I would have bought in the first place. If I need the tool now and can't wait, buy it and watch the weather channel.

Old 08-19-2004, 09:14 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Actually, I've never really had a major problem with my better half inhibiting tool purchases. In fact, I've been wanting a mechanic's rollaway for about a year, as most of my hand tools are in shoeboxes that are stacked, and falling apart. So last weekend, I was picking stuff off the garage floor (tools mostly, see shoebox comment above) and my wife came into the garage, asked if she could borrow a hacksaw, and we must have spent about 20 minutes looking for one.

Anyway, she said "go get the rollaway" on her own accord without my prompting. She's definately a keeper. Of course I was limited to what I could spend, I had to keep it less than $800, so that limited the rollaway choices to mediocre stuff. But, while at Home Depot, I noticed their top of the line, largest, 6' high combination, was on sale for $300 for the top, and $400 for the bottom... so that left another hundred for an auto-take-up air hose reel and a new air line water trap/filter since mine decided to split like a banana.

Worked out well.

Old 08-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Road Beater
New User
I've found the best way for me to pickup the things I need is to agree to build her a new engine and do the body and paint on her car. This way it's for her.

Old 08-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Ghostgunn
Elder User
Assuming that your wife does the sterotypical jobs of a housewife. I ask you do you allow her to buy the $250 mixer, $300 vacum sweeper, $2000 set of washer and dryer ? The tools they usually use, or do you just tell her to get by with the cheap inferior stuff.. I don't care if it is my spouse or me , you have to have the right tool for the job and you generally get what you pay for. I tend to go without somethings so she can have what she wants and I expect the same in return. A 50/50 give and take-- I have never been a rich guy but I try in all cases to get the best product for the job- otherwise you are just going to pitch the inferior one in a few years. I rent the tools that I only use occasionally- saves on room in the garage as well. I will add I try to use craftsman hand tools, dewalt power as they seem to be the best quality in my case. I just simply explain that they are good quality , and that I have a need for them. I let her make her own judgement calls on her purchases- if she don't complain , I don't complain. She needs hers and I need mine.

Old 08-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Momudder720
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wdsmithjr
I'm currently in the process of building a detached garage, wonder what that's going to cost me.....
Just got done with our *ahem* detatched garage. Cost us $30k so far. 60x40

Old 08-24-2004, 07:08 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My wife never complains (about tools,LOL) I do all the home repairs, and most of the automotive, so it pays off. The lulu was when I brought home a Bridgeport milling machine, and she didn't notice! I had to point it out to her! As long as she knows where I am at night (in the garage) she's cool.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:28 PM
ms_michelle
Elder User
Tools and this woman

Allright guys, I see the secrets are coming out, some of you are treading on thin ice. The truth is most of us have you figured out and because we love you we let you buy tools and we play dumb. Now on the other hand, if you were married to a woman like me, you and I would be in constant competition to see who could collect the most tools and have the biggest tool box. I had rather buy tools than clothes. That is why I have a 2,000 sq foot house and a 2,300 sq foot garage, or at least it will be as soon as it is completed in October. Don't you guys know that it is silly to have a house bigger than your garage, what a waste of space. www.michellesfords.com

Michelle

Old 08-25-2004, 03:23 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's what I'm talkin' about- 10 car garage with a small house out back!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 03:45 PM
F150'89
Senior User
Smile

My wife has bought me a few tools; Craftsman compressor, Stihl Pole Saw, hand tools etc. Man do I LOVE THIS WOMAN!!

Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 PM
91-Exploder
Junior User
Usually bring the wife along on tool shopping expeditions. But she knows how much car maintenance costs and knows that usually buying a _good_ tool is cheaper than paying the shop to do it as a side benefit you have something to show for your money.

She did her first tuneup on her car the other day and was so pleased at _not_ spending the $400 the dealer wanted to charge but she also appreciated that we had the correct tools to make the job easy. Definitely a keeper

Quick Reply: Wives and Tools