1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Swapping DurasparkIII for a DurasparkII Ignition system

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 01:52 AM
Shesalonewolf
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping DurasparkIII for a DurasparkII Ignition system

We swapped the DurasparkIII system out of our 1983 F150 4X4 351w pickup, for a durasparkII system I obtained from an earlier 79 E series van with a 351w that was being scrapped. If you do this, You need the DurasparkII complete distributor (cap and rotor), a LONGER wiring harness for an F150 truck, and BLUE ignition module for the duraspark II system. (The ignition module on the Van for the durasparkII is the blue module. ( Our truck used the brown module for the durasparkIII system.)
If you obtain parts as we did from an older E-series van, to go into a F-series truck you also will need to obtain a longer wiring harness than the one the van uses. The difference in the engine compartment sizes and where the parts install, makes the exhisting harness from the van to short.
The DurasparkII system replaced our DurasparkIII with NO MODIFICATONS . It just dropped right in.
So far there are no adverse effects that have been noiticed in the truck. Electrical, power etc all seem normal. The only potential drawback to this that I can see or anticipate when doing this is that we live in California with its smog laws. (Evidently the durasparkIII was only placed on CALIFORNIA issue vehicles ??? which leads me to believe it has some bearing on the states smog controlls) I had just smogged the truck right before it quit running, and I am not required to have another smog done for two years, (semi-annual here), so I am not sure how this swap-over is going to effect me at the next smog check.
Be well, Shesalonewolf aka Deb

Old 06-29-2004, 09:23 AM
Oscar Meier
Elder User
Deb - I remember reading your post on the problems with the DSIII system. I've done a lot with the DSII and the DSII/HEI conversions - I like them both and have found that the converstion has always made the engine run better that the old TFI systems I've changed. I wouldn't guess that your DSII conversion would have any bad effects on smog readings. You might consider a good tune-up and make sure your carb is adjusted before your next smog check.

Glad it all worked out for the changeover to the DSII. Happy Fording!!

Old 06-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Shesalonewolf
Freshman User
Talking

Thank you for that~! The truck is running great, I am almost ready to take it back into the mountains and do some roaming around again...ALMOST...lol...Its a relief to know that it might not effect smog much at all. The truck has always passed with room to spare on the smog test...so ýou have helped me feel a bit more confidence in that area~! Thanks again~ Shesalonewolf aka Deb

Old 06-29-2004, 12:55 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Great information Deb!

A few questions though...

1. Does the DS-II wire harness plug into the ignition key switch somewhere, or did you have to splice the wires?

2. Where did you route the vacuum line to the distributor from?

3. What did you set the initial spark advance at?

4. Are all the rest of the electronic engine controls and vacuum solenoids still hooked up?

I'm wondering if the EEC will still operate the solenoids for the smog pump and the EGR valve with the EEC ignition input disabled. (Sort of how a lizard's tail keeps wiggling after it's broke off, LOL!) If it does, then you might not have any problems passing smog. If you were really curious, you could probably use a vacuum gauge to find out if the solenoids are operating.

I think DS-II uses a bimetalic vacuum valve threaded into the intake manifold. When the engine is at a certain temp, it opens the valve and allows full vacuum advance beyond the initial static setting. If you experience any problem with the engine running smoothly before it's warmed up, you might consider that.

Scott

Old 06-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Shesalonewolf
Freshman User
Thumbs up good questions ~!

PUtting me through my paces here I see...lol...., I knew there were some "details" that I would forget to ad or not realize their importance when I wrote this. I am actually surprized there werent a bunch more ~! However I never have written one of these before, nor had I ever had to change one of these either..~lol ...( ok.. no excuses..Here are the answers to your questions ) , or what I hope are the answers you wanted......

. Does the DS-II wire harness plug into the ignition key switch somewhere, or did you have to splice the wires?

A ) The DSII just plugged right in to the ignition key switch..(i recommended the change of wiring harness as we had to splice the exhisting shorter one off of the van in to make it work till a new harness arrived via ups here..)

2. Where did you route the vacuum line to the distributor from?
A )The vacuum line, was routed via a "T" hose connector of off the original vacuum source on my truck. (Spliced it into the restricted side , I was chicken to do this so had a friend do it....lol..).

3. What did you set the initial spark advance at?
A) The initial spark advance was set at Top - dead center.

4. Are all the rest of the electronic engine controls and vacuum solenoids still hooked up?
A) Yes. As far as I can see everything is hooked up, and all is running well.
There is no problem with the engine running rough when cold or when it warms up. Its all running as it should. Nice , even and smooth. (with the exception of maybe it has a bit more POWER..! )

And last but no least....Curiosity??? is my middle name~! The old saying "I can resist anything ...but temptation" fits me all to well...

"If you were really curious, you could probably use a vacuum gauge to find out if the solenoids are operating."
So ~maybe I have just enought time to find out before it gets dark here~???!!! I will get back to you on that one...

Be well, Shesalonewolf aka Deb