General Automotive Discussion

Fender Bender!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 04:07 PM
ElStuddo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fender Bender!!

My car was parked in front alongside the street in front of my house in my subdivision. It was RIGHT across from the nieghbors driveway.

We were doing yard maintance, when the daughter of the owner to the van that was parked in their drive-way across the street, approched my dad, and said she did dammage to my car from backing into it from their driveway shown here....

She told my dad.. "Well its a JUNK car anyway, your son is always working on it!" And my dad in a roar told her.. "Youre still at fault, my son just spent $3000 on a new motor on this car, and he was only tunning it up so it will pas Texas emissions testing!"... Then thats when I walked up. Then she gave me her insurance card and license after my dad explained to her about the proceedures. I copied/scanned the info, then contacted to file the claim.... Handed her back her information. I didnt have any trouble with the insurance company. They will send a adjuster to asses in a "day or 2".

After that, as I took the picture here, her boyfreind, or someone in relation came up and told me... "Youre not suppose to be parked across the street from the driveway!".. I said "It doesnt matter, ive been here 30 yrs, and have always parked here. Its not BLOCKING the driveway"... Then my dad came out, and told him the situation.

I hope they dont come back, and make a statement, that im at fault. And also, the woman said to my dad "I was tring to find my cell-phone that dropped on the floor when I hit him!"

I better not get anymore heat from this, or double talk, or counter-suits. I just want my claim, and get this reapired, and out of my hair ASAP! Im tring to restore this baby of mine as much as possible. But what gets to me is, she was VERY descriminate about the situation. My car is a 1981 olds Delta 88'. It may not be uch to them, or alot of people, but I take pride in what I have.

Last edited by ElStuddo; 06-28-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:15 PM
equium
Elder User
i've had neighbors like that. they think they own the rights to parking in front of their homes. i've seen them use 2 cars spaced out when 4 cars would have fit. it's pretty sad. i don't have that trouble anymore, the front of my house is a slope and i only have a few neighbors and i can fit over 6 cars in my driveway.
"that car is JUNK". her daddy needs to be smacked for not teaching her to appreciate older cars (no matter who make them).

Old 06-28-2004, 04:18 PM
ElStuddo
New User
Originally Posted by equium
i've had neighbors like that. they think they own the rights to parking in front of their homes. i've seen them use 2 cars spaced out when 4 cars would have fit. it's pretty sad. i don't have that trouble anymore, the front of my house is a slope and i only have a few neighbors and i can fit over 6 cars in my driveway.
"that car is JUNK". her daddy needs to be smacked for not teaching her to appreciate older cars (no matter who make them).
lol!! Thank you! Yes... I dont know if it was her dad or who. But he was older, and had a NEW TRUCK (chevy) dealer tags.. And thought he could come over and settle the matter HIS way, in which HE was not there at the time. I should of called the cops, but my dad haulted that idea. She is only 17.

Old 06-28-2004, 04:25 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Document everything. When the claim adjuster comes out, tell him that she was looking for her cell phone while backing out of her driveway. Tell him that you've been threatened by her boyfriend. That should be good for now.

What may happen is your neighbours rate will rise unless they get the girl her own car. So watch out for a really happy girl with her own car, still liable to back into your car across the street.

Don't sweat it too much. After all, it's still just a car. Be glad it was just your car and not someone's dog, or God forbid, someone's kid on a bike.

Welcome to FTE by the way.

Old 06-28-2004, 04:28 PM
equium
Elder User
i borrowed my brother's Olds Royal Broughm (sp) for every prom, winter ball, formal dance in high school. (it was brand new back then). He loved it because i would spend hours and hours detailing it for my date. i loved it because it had a big back seat. (hehehe).

Old 06-28-2004, 04:37 PM
ElStuddo
New User
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer
Document everything. When the claim adjuster comes out, tell him that she was looking for her cell phone while backing out of her driveway. Tell him that you've been threatened by her boyfriend. That should be good for now.

What may happen is your neighbours rate will rise unless they get the girl her own car. So watch out for a really happy girl with her own car, still liable to back into your car across the street.

Don't sweat it too much. After all, it's still just a car. Be glad it was just your car and not someone's dog, or God forbid, someone's kid on a bike.

Welcome to FTE by the way.
Good advice!! Thanks!! Im glad to be here, since this was a place involving cars, I just wanted other opnions. Ive had this place bookmarked.. And I think I used another account a while back, and used a old e-mail that was deleted, when my dad was tring to find parts for HIS 67' Ford Galexy 500. Ill show a pic later.

My dad also stressed to her "Everyone gets into accidents, and better here, or at a intersection or parking lot, and being involved with a stanger."

Even I rear-ended several years ago a bran new Toyota Camery, and did $1200 worth of dammage just to the rear bumper.

Old 06-28-2004, 04:38 PM
ElStuddo
New User
Originally Posted by equium
i borrowed my brother's Olds Royal Broughm (sp) for every prom, winter ball, formal dance in high school. (it was brand new back then). He loved it because i would spend hours and hours detailing it for my date. i loved it because it had a big back seat. (hehehe).
Im going to keep mine as long as I can. Alot of memories.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:23 PM
1970f2504x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just be careful that the Ins. company doesn't total the car. I think there's a certain percentage of the damage versus the cars value that they can deem the car as totaled. The value of these older cars is not all that much.

Old 06-28-2004, 06:44 PM
ElStuddo
New User
Originally Posted by 1970f2504x4
Just be careful that the Ins. company doesn't total the car. I think there's a certain percentage of the damage versus the cars value that they can deem the car as totaled. The value of these older cars is not all that much.
As much $$ I have invested in it... $3,000 for the motor + parts and labor ( almost 2 yrs ago, and only have 12k miles on it) and another $750.00 on having the tranny rebuilt.. They better not. Or shouldnt

Old 06-28-2004, 06:45 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Moved to Automotive Discussion forum

Old 06-28-2004, 06:56 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 520 Likes on 399 Posts
you might have made a big mistake for not calling the cops they would have taken a police report of the accident which would have prevented you from have any lawsuits thrown you way it is also a law in most states and a coulpe states there is a law where if the police werent called whan it happened then the insurance company can revoke your claim

Old 06-28-2004, 07:26 PM
ElStuddo
New User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
you might have made a big mistake for not calling the cops they would have taken a police report of the accident which would have prevented you from have any lawsuits thrown you way it is also a law in most states and a coulpe states there is a law where if the police werent called whan it happened then the insurance company can revoke your claim
Well, I could always get a lawyer, and take it to small claims court if it goes to that.

Last edited by ElStuddo; 06-28-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:49 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
you still should be able to call the police if its within your states time guidelines.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:06 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as calling it junk, it still doesn't matter, it is a matter of responsibility for her actions. Junk is in the eye of the beholder, and it isn't the same opinion to everyone, as many out there would call anything past 10 years old junk. Being it was parked, it makes her 100% at fault, and a police report really should be filed, it may even be illegal to NOT report it, depending upon the dollar amount of damage. Around here, and a couple other states, it needs to be reported if the damage exceeds $500.

Old 06-29-2004, 01:35 AM
mrwizard
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ElStuddo
As much $$ I have invested in it... $3,000 for the motor + parts and labor ( almost 2 yrs ago, and only have 12k miles on it) and another $750.00 on having the tranny rebuilt.. They better not. Or shouldnt
You could have spent $10K on it. If the insurance company's computer says it's only worth $1K, that's what they will say it's worth. I just had a similar incident a couple months ago. My truck got hit while it was parked in my driveway. He actually spun the truck sideways about 6 feet, and missed hitting my brand new truck by less than a foot. The old man (that needed a walker) was driving his son's car, so his insurance company said they wouldn't do anything. The son's insurance company ended up paying the bill. Over $3K for a mashed-in bedside behind the rear wheel. But now that's the shiniest part of the truck!