Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:40 PM
smashing4455
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 conversion

David spongale I have a question for you? I have been mulling over the way that I am going to convert from 2 wheel to 4x4, I have a question,you know how Ford has a 1 ton 350 in non-dually form, and one like mine in 4wheel form,do you know if it it is posssible to use non-dually axles front and bake on a dually frame? I know you might be thinking,WHY? It is easier to find wheels for non-dually wheels than dually, and not that hard to convert the rear to dually. There just isnt that great of a selection on dually wheels.
Any info would be great?!

91' Crew Cab Dually 7.3/200,000 + miles

Old 06-24-2004, 07:49 PM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah but its a waste of time. Costly too unless you have a parts truck. srw wheels easier to find than dually wheels???????? I own a srw truck and have a hard time as it is finding a good set of wheels if I where you I buy a 4x4 dually truck and get the late model stars wheels for it out a junk yard they would look pretty sharp on a older truck. but thats just my opinion. I wish there was better 8 bolt wheels. If there ones like the 5 bolts I would have a problem buying them. I also hate how you got to pay more money for some good traction d rated tires but that life.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You could put a single wheel front axle under your truck with the single wheels.
You will have to leave the bud wheels on the back to have a dually rear.
You could put single wheels on your axle and run single rear tires, but it would look kinda funny.
Another downside is different wheels mean no rotation of the tires without dis mounting the tires and remounting them.
I personally would find a dually front end for bud wheels so you can rotate the tires.

A dually pickup frame is the same as a SRW pickup, 37.5" outside to outside of the frame. All parts will exchange.
The cab and chassis frame is 34" outside to outside. Only cab and chassis parts will fit because the spring perches are different.

Old 06-25-2004, 02:41 PM
smashing4455
Senior User
Thanks for the response david I somehow knew you would know, Just so I dont seem like a idiot,if this works I plan on getting a convertion for the rear that turns a single axle into a dually, the other issue I am uncertain of is the cost. I have been told the cost for a daully front axle(DANA 60) is about a $1000.00 I was hoping that the single would be a little less. Any thoughts on this?

Old 06-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
A Dana 60 front axle for 1000 dollars is about as good as it gets. I just had a guy tell me that the best price he could find one for was 1700 a couple of weeks ago. And the gearing was wrong for his rear axle ratio.

Old 06-25-2004, 11:35 PM
horton-racing
Senior User
Smashing, What are you trying to put together? How much are you willing to pay for a Dana 60? I have a 1986 Dana 60 and a Dana 70? dually rear-end w/wheels and a cherry new take-off 1989 dually bed. Email me if you have any interest in all or part. I really don`t want to let go of the 60 but, money talks or Horton walks. LOL