Question - Will a Superchip help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question - Will a Superchip help?

OK...here's my situation.

I have a '99F150, see pic below, that from day one has had an issue with the check engine light repeatedly coming on. After numerous trips to the local Ford dealership, they consistantly told me that the engine was running rich on one bank, causing the sensors in the exhaust to plug, thereby causing the check engine light to come on. I was told that Ford was supposed to send out a memo on the "fix". Well, to make a long period of non-activity on Ford's behalf short, the warrantee has long since expired and still no "fix" from Ford.

Now, I am thinking that this is probably a chip issue, since there isn't a lot mehanically, that I am aware of, that could cause fuel injection to run rich on one bank. So... my question is...if this IS a chip issue and I were to order a superchip, would this theoretically fix my fuel richness issue? I know I'd still have to replace the danged sensors to know for sure, but I'd really like some idea before I invest in something that may or may not work.

I'm getting seriously tired of looking at that check engine light being on 24x7. Perhaps Ken would know, since he is the one who works at the programming end of the superchips???

Help!

My name is Fordlover1951...and I approve this message.

Old 06-19-2004, 09:07 PM
95 F150
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would check for vacuum leaks especially around the intake. Starting fluid works great for finding them but be very carefull because it is very flamable. Just spray it on suspect areas and listen for changes in RPM. The problem when you have a vauum leak is the ECU richens the fuel mixture causing the O2's to think the engine is running rich.

Just one possibility

Old 06-21-2004, 12:03 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Whoa..... that font is causing serious eye strain! (And I've got better than 20/20 vision!)

No, this isn't a chip issue though its possible its a program issue. Ruel out mechanical problems first. You can sometimes hear a leak if you use a garden hose as a make-shift engine stethoscope. (spelling?) If you can't find the problem, let me know the PCM code and I can tell you if there is an updated flash available from Ford.

A Superchips Microtuner will not correct existing problems though in some cases it may mask a problem. It puts a modified performance version of the existing flash back into the vehicle and doesn't change the flash revision itself. Changing the flash revision can either be done by Ford or with a four-bank Diablo chip.

Old 06-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

OK-- I'll stick to black letters. Just using the programs offered.

Now.. where do I find the PCM code? is it under the hood or?? I know I read it somewhere here, but I'll be danged if I can find it again.

I seriously doubt it's a vacuum leak. The truck has been this way since I bought it, with 24,000 miles on it. The engine performance has never changed, it runs and idles good, the gas mileage could be better, but after using a stethoscope and a hose, I'll be danged if I can hear a vacuum leak anywhere. So... I'm going to stick with what the local boys at Ford told me.... it's a programming issue that Ford was supposed to do something about, but apparently never did, to my knowlege.

Old 06-22-2004, 08:48 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

ok, I think I found it...its squished between the battery and fender on the passenger side? So, do I have to remove the battery to find the code? Sure isn't visible from the top.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:14 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Yes, that's where it is. If you're lucky, its also still on the sticker on the passenger side door frame near the hinges.

(Its not just the color, its the font as well!)

Old 06-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

I'll check it tomorrow when the wife lets me out of my cage. As for the fonts, Im just using one of the programs offered in the settings. I'll quit though and take that as a warning....besides someone else already asked me to not use the program, before you got mad at me for using too much bandwidth.

Heres where I turned the program on, so I thought it would be ok. Definitely wasn't trying to cause problems. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...do=editoptions
Might want to get rid of the WYSIWTG or make it clear that it isn't to be used like I had done.
<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND><LABEL for=sel_showvbcode>Message Editor Interface</LABEL></LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>When postings messages to the forums or other members, there are three interface types available to you. The simplest of these is a simple text box, while the last is a fully-fledged WYSIWYG editor, which allows you to format your text as you want it and see the results immediately.

Depending upon the capabilities of your web browser, you may not be able to use all of these options. If you experience problems when posting messages, try switching to a different interface type.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><SELECT id=sel_showvbcode style="VISIBILITY: visible; __styleDocument: [object]; styleDocument: [object]" name=showvbcode> <OPTION value=0>Basic Editor - A simple text box</OPTION> <OPTION value=1>Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls</OPTION> <OPTION value=2 selected>Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing</OPTION></SELECT> <LABEL for=sel_showvbcode>Message Editor Interface:</LABEL> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>

<INPUT class=button accessKey=s type=submit value="Save Changes"> <INPUT class=button accessKey=r type=reset value="Reset Fields">

Last edited by Fordlover1951; 06-25-2004 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

OK..here is the code (?) from the only sticker on the passenger side door frame, near the hinges. FUG3 .

This is a 99F150, 4.6, manual tranny, 2v I believe.
If that isn't the code then I'll have to take the battery out and see if it's on the box. The sticker was just a 1" kinda squarish thing.

Old 06-30-2004, 12:21 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Yes, that's the code. Its the last revision in that code family. I seriously doubt the code has anything to do with the problems.

Old 06-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Thanks....well, I guess I drive it with the check engine light on for the rest of eternity. I'm sure not going to pay for something, at Fords service rates, for something they should have fixed when it was still under warranty. I also guess it's going to be the last new Ford I ever buy ... unless I win the lottery. It really sucks that they didn't even try to fix it before .... I don't think they really knew what was wrong, even with the codes from the computer. Is there some way for me to manually shut the light off every week?