1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ranger vibrates at high speeds

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 04:46 PM
nukeengr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ranger vibrates at high speeds

I've got a '99 Ranger XLT 3.0L 4x4. I've had the front upper/lower joints replaced, yet the truck continues to vibrate at high speeds. Feels unstable at times. Feels like I'm in a wind tunnel, or driving behind an 18-wheeler on a windy day. Not sure what is causing the truck to vibrate, but am hoping someone else has experienced the same, with a possible solution. The alignment has been done as well.

Could the problem be with the suspension? I don't know.
Would it make any difference if the shocks were replaced? They are good right now, as far as I know.

I'm stumped and have no idea what to look for, or have the service tech look for. I'm a novice with the truck, but am mechanically inclined to find out the problem and possibly fix it myself. Hope someone can help.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:34 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by nukeengr
I've got a '99 Ranger XLT 3.0L 4x4. I've had the front upper/lower joints replaced, yet the truck continues to vibrate at high speeds. Feels unstable at times. Feels like I'm in a wind tunnel, or driving behind an 18-wheeler on a windy day. Not sure what is causing the truck to vibrate, but am hoping someone else has experienced the same, with a possible solution. The alignment has been done as well.

Could the problem be with the suspension? I don't know.
Would it make any difference if the shocks were replaced? They are good right now, as far as I know.

I'm stumped and have no idea what to look for, or have the service tech look for. I'm a novice with the truck, but am mechanically inclined to find out the problem and possibly fix it myself. Hope someone can help.
mmmm.... maybe check the drive shaft center bearings and/or u-joints. I don't know about your truck, but I have been in cars where the drive shaft was bent/unbalanced or had bad u-joints, and it was no fun. Well maybe if I was a girl... Sorry ladies, I couldn't resist.

Welcome to FTE!

Old 06-18-2004, 06:52 PM
hreed
Posting Guru
Maybe shocks. Rock the front end (stand on the bumper) a few times and see how long it takes to stop. It should only bounce once at the most, probably won't bounce at all if they are good. If it bounces 2-3 times or more, the shocks are suspect. Did you have the tires balanced? Could be a tire problem or a bent wheel. Try rotating the tires to see if anything changes. Check the tie rod ends and other moving steering parts for play. Grab the top of the tire and rock it to feel for any play in the wheel bearings or steering. Try moving the tires on the turning radius for any play.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:03 PM
nukeengr
New User
Wink The problem is sort of fixed

Yeah, it was the driveshaft that caused the problem. After the dealer replaced my old shaft with the latest and greatest aluminum shaft, I noticed a considerable difference in the overall performance of the vehicle. However, the truck does continue to have problem, but not that would be noticeable to a passenger.

The truck does move around on the highway a bit. It's not the tires or the front ball joints. Those were both replaced recently as well. I think it's in the suspension of the truck, somewhere.. I have no idea where though. The truck also seems to hesitate when at certain speeds, maybe for a quick second. But, I notice it every day commuting back and forth to work. I've replaced the air filter, and the truck has had its 60k service performed by another dealer. It's got close to 67,000 miles on, so I"m not sure what else could be a problem. Any suggestions would help. I'd really like to get to the bottom of the problems with this truck, especially before the extended warranty runs out.

The electrical controls in the door handles on both sides of the truck don't work either. I'm assuming the dealer will charge an arm and a leg to fix this part. I'd prefer to do it myself but don't know where I can purchase the parts or what the part numbers would be. Any ideas?

BTW.. when the aluminum driveshaft was installed, that part was covered 100% by warranty. However, the dealer said they had to swap out the fuel tank cover with a new one. That was not covered under warranty and cost about $180 for the part.. a simple piece of sheet metal costs that much. It's such a crime.

Thanks and have a great day!

Old 09-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Help I M Stuck
Posting Guru
if the truck feels like it's sliding at highway speeds that is usually the sign of bad shocks.