2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Grill Surround - Didn't want it on my Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Nick O'Teen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Grill Surround - Didn't want it on my Lariat

When I was working on closing the deal on my new Lariat SuperCrew a couple of weeks ago I told the dealer I didn't want the chrome grill that comes standard on the Lariat. What I really wanted was to have the body color grill that comes on the other trim levels. My truck is all white (black leather). For that matter I really would rather have the bumpers in white rather than chrome.

I tried to convince the dealer to swap my grille with one off another truck on the lot ( a simple, ten minute job). I even tried to make it a deal-breaker but they wouldn't go for it. They said they couldn't sell the truck in a non-standard form. To that I pointed out a number of F150s on their lot that had custom 20" and 22" wheels and tires (at huge markups) and several that had billet grills (also at huge markups - $650!).

I tried to convince them they could do the swap and charge a bit extra on the truck that got the chrome grill off mine but they wouldn't do it - even at the risk of losing the deal. In the end I gave up because they were the one dealer that had a truck with everything I was looking for.

So I guess I'll have the grill surround painted white - a hassle and an expense. After that I'll put in a quality billet insert (at a lot less then $650, by the way).

Anyone in southern Calif want to trade?

Old 06-15-2004, 10:54 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Did you check the price of the grill you wanted through the Ford Parts Department? I bet it isn't too expensive.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Nick O'Teen
Junior User
No, didn't price the surround but I doubt you can get it already painted in the factory color. For that matter, I'd be surprised if you can buy just the surround without a center insert but I will check.

Thanks

Old 06-16-2004, 01:24 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
let me know if you find anything out, if i change out my grille i want the chrome off too.

Old 06-16-2004, 09:15 AM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
You can buy any stock grille you want from http://www.FordPartsNetwork.com. Torrie is probably the one who'll answer any email sent to them. I'll be cheaper than ordering through your dealership as they'll add on a nice profit margin.

I'm not at the house right now, or I could list the part numbers. If I remember correctly, there's a thread that lists the exact part numbers. For the life of me, I can't remember the poster ... maybe JonAndDar. Anyway, I can post part numbers within the next few days if necessary. I have the list at my house.

Now, you can only get the complete stock grilles ... you can't get just the surround portion, etc. They come with the color-coded surround and respective grille insert. For example, you want a white surround. I'm doing this off the top of my head, but you'd be able to get either the XLT or FX4 grilles in white. They'd both have the black grille insert ... the FX4 has the big dividers (for lack of a better term). The grille will run probably you between $125 and $200. Unless you're dying for billet, I think this stock option would definitely be your best best. This way, you don't have to worry about the color not matching. And those billets are expensive, too! But, that's just my opinion. Oh, and you could sell your Lariat (chrome) to another forum user and/or on ebay.

As for the color-coded bumpers, you should be able to purchase those as well. I don't have $ figures, though. I thought about getting black bumpers, but several FX4 (color-coded bumpers) forum posters complained about the dings they get in the front bumper from the road, flying rocks, etc. Nonetheless, good luck!

Old 06-16-2004, 09:38 AM
GordoPanocho
Elder User
FYI, it was JohnAndDar, not JonAndDar. No matter.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:18 PM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did the trucks with the colored grille surround come in wedgewood blue? otherwised im screwed. or maybe i can get it in arizona beige to match the bumper???