6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

F-250/F-350 Purchasing Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 06:14 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
It reads as though you took carefull care in your research, something that paid off!
Nice job

Old 06-17-2004, 06:20 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pyrexic
DTR, I got my truck at Covert Ford in Austin, Tx. I had just a few requirements and had 3.5 dealerships (Covert-Austin, Covert-Hutto, Maxwell, and Tomball Ford) working to get my business. I called at least 10 dealerships and most did not make the cut just based on the attitude of the sales person. I walked away from about 6 trucks and the process took about 1 month, but I knew what the invoice amount was and the dealer holdback. The truck I got was $700 off invoice (split the holdback) plus the $1500 off from Ford. This site was a great help in getting the deal I got and made sure the truck had a hood blanket (It didn't initially and the sales guy told me that's the way they came..I pulled out a print out of the FTE thread on these and viola- hood blanket installed with no argument). Do your homework, be patient, and dont drool when you see the truck of your dreams... as soon as you drool they know they have you hooked.
I went to MacHaik in Georgetown. Got mine with $4,500 in rebates off invoice. Plus they have great service. At Covert Hutto, I couldn't get past the techs bouncing the ball off the wall in the service bay, rat feces in the drinking fountain, four trips to the parts department for my son's Ranger to replace wrong brake parts, etc.

Old 06-17-2004, 06:27 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SBV45
I went to MacHaik in Georgetown. Got mine with $4,500 in rebates off invoice. Plus they have great service. At Covert Hutto, I couldn't get past the techs bouncing the ball off the wall in the service bay, rat feces in the drinking fountain, four trips to the parts department for my son's Ranger to replace wrong brake parts, etc.

Why is it that some think we attack the dealerships, with things like this going on it should be brought to the surface for all to see, when you get a good one the same thing.......bring it to light.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Pyrexic
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Why is it that some think we attack the dealerships, with things like this going on it should be brought to the surface for all to see, when you get a good one the same thing.......bring it to light.
Agreed, the 0.5 of the 3.5 dealships was Covert-Hutto. They stayed in the running only because they kept matching the current deal.

I have had a good experience at Covert-Austin when I purchased an Explorer 10 years ago and again with this F-250. When dealing with a large purchase, I will always shop around and do the homework but it also helps when they answer your questions and understand where you are coming from and not pull the sleezy sales routine. I have heard good things about MacHeik but when I talked with them, they seemed put off with the amount of questions I was asking and at the time, I already had a truck picked out at Tomball and they were not even willing to match the deal. Next Please. I was up front with the sales guy at Covert (and the rest as well) as to what I was doing. I was never asking for them to sell a truck at a loss, all I wanted was good deal. Some dealers acted as if I was asking them to give it away. The fact you got $4500 off is great and obviously you did your homework. There are deals to be had, you just need to work at it.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:06 AM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
if u dont mind waiting, buy ur ford in march. the rebates are huge from ford to get the current models off the lot. so if u want an 04, buy it in 03/05.

my 550 was at 57,990, and that was already after dealer rebates(list was 60 somethin ) after rebates, 51,900. a little talkin, and 49,995 was the best i could squeeze.

so take all the time in the world

Old 06-17-2004, 12:32 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DTR
Dieselman,

What I mean by "Dead Horse" was resale value. With the 6.0 L out, over the next 3 years or so, no many people will want the 7.3. Ford has dropped the 7.3L because they deemed the 6.0L better. Therefore, unless its cheap enough, no one will want to pick up a 7.3 in a few years.

Is the transmission type listed any place on the vehicle (like the door tag by the VIN number or anything)???
Hardly a dead horse - still lots of folks looking for that motor....

Old 06-17-2004, 06:18 PM
DTR
Junior User
Thanks for all the help guys. The hood blanket and fender liners are definately on my list of things to check. My brother-in-law has a program that links to the Fors web-site, and will tell the invoice price, so that is an advantage on my part. I have also been told by one deal the rebates are $2000 and everyone else says $1500. However, I'm not sure about the "holdback" or any dealer incentives. Pyrexic, how did you find out about the holdbacks? Also, can the dealer incentives be found as well?

I am also up front with the salesman. I tell them the deals I have found, and if they can beat it. I don't want to waste my time or theirs. Most are very curtious, and know that you're not out to be taken for a ride.

Thanks Again,

DTR

Old 06-17-2004, 07:22 PM
DTR
Junior User
Ok, I did a search for holdback, and there is a lot of good info.

Old 06-18-2004, 02:02 AM
Pyrexic
Junior User
Originally Posted by DTR
I have also been told by one deal the rebates are $2000 and everyone else says $1500.
DTR
For the PSD, there is a $1500 rebate, $2500 for the gasser. There is another $500 if you go with the Ford finance but the rate is like 7.5%. If you go with your own bank or pay cash, you don't get the added $500. At least this was the deal in May.

Sounds like you're sorted on the holdback. Good luck on your hunt!