Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer
Old 11-21-2014, 11:40 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD Guides
Print Wikipost

Blinking 4wd lights? READ THIS FIRST before going to dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 01:25 PM
butch h
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may be whistling in the wind, but on my '90 Ranger, there is a red pin in the connector for the transfer case motor. By removing this pin the wire going into the case doesn't need to be cut as the end will come free of the connector.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Ralph Florio
New User
Scan

Originally Posted by Noelle Aleese Lira
Please bare with me I know very little about cars and have no where else to turn. I have a 2000 explorer EB. It has had a slight rough idle since i bought it Jan ' 12. Didn't really bother me sop much until a few months back... I had accidently broke the plastic piece that held my cig lighter in place so my husband was trying to Fix it and while in the process of removing the plastic covering and replacing it he some how broke the **** that controls my 4x4... almost like it was stripped the **** just spins..that's when it started running real rough... It only slipped completely in to 4x4 twice a week after (by the way scared the hell out of me i never use 4wd and wasnt expecting that lol) he said he disconnected the fuse or something for the 4wd so that it wouldn't shift on again butt ever since both high and low Lights blink constantly and it rides very ruff like its hesitant to accel almost like i feel a flutter when increasing speed.. Please help this is my first car i bought from a dealer and was proud to pay it of recently only to turn around and spend money replacing the alternator battery ford fuses and still have more issues... Ilike my truck and don't want to give up on it but like i said i don't know about cars and wouldn't know where to start... Help me please
Originally Posted by trevbenson
I just bought a 1999 Explorer XLT with the A4WD system. I have driven it several months when I started getting the occasional 6 blink of the 4Hi/4low lights. When I called the dealer, they wanted $154 for a computer scan of the error codes. I have not had it in 4 hi or low yet as I drive mostly on pavement. Is the flashing an indication of a service interval or low oil in the transfer case?
Your dealer is a thief!!! If you can get to a pep boys, firestone, or Midas shop they will test your computer for any error codes for free. They will give you the codes and you can Google them for an explanation.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:25 PM
Ralph Florio
New User
Originally Posted by fordloverintulsa
I just purchased an '04 ford explorer and i have the 4wd flashing light and the abs light is on, also there is like grinding when i reverse and put in drive. I just got it sat jan 10 and took it to a shop to have it looked at. He says the transfer case is gone and also the rear differential which is about 1500 dollars for the parts. we are looking into what can be done since i didnt take the warranty due to the money it cost to have it. I have always loved fords but i sure do see lots of stuff going on with them on this site which worries me more if i fix this vehicle and then everything else goes wrong. it has 146,000 miles on it, of course ran good on the test drive
First let me say I have a 98 explorer sport. 180 K miles and this is after I had a 95 sport that I had 230 K miles on until it burned when a car next to it caught fire. My 95 had the abs light on for the last 60 K miles off and on, brakes worked fine. Dealer wanted 1000 dollars to fix it. My 98 has had the light on for about 40 K miles. I just today started getting the blinking 4x4 lights myself. I am going to try the relays first, so I will let you know what I come up with. BUT I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DO NOT LISTEN TO THE GUYS WHO WANT TO MAKE YOU PUT IN A REAR END AND A TRANSFER CASE. THATS CRAZY! IF ANYTHING, YOU CAN FIND A CRAPLOAD OF EXPLORERS IN THE JUNKYARD. THEY WERE ALL TRADED IN DURING OBAMA'S PLAN

Old 02-26-2017, 09:50 AM
dlarracey1
New User
my low range light comes on I loose my speed ometer as well what do you think I should try first

Old 03-04-2017, 02:28 AM
Walkz
New User
Hey is that rear driveshaft sensor called a Output shaft sensor Cause I'm having this problem on my 02 ford explorer?

Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 PM
GOVTMOD
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got a 96 XLT. It had the 6 blink/No electric windows issue. I replaced the relay under the dash and I'm set.

I hate doing under-dash yoga but it was worth it. I already had a pile of relays in the garage so the fix cost me nothing. I think if I had to buy one it would have been something like $6.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:27 PM
Antonio Romero Jr.
New User
Hall sensor

Originally Posted by CNTHOR
To all you people who have blinking "4wd" and "4wd low" here is a little story for you.

for about 8 months now I have had the 6 blinks every minute symptom where it seems to shift into 4wd OK but after a few minutes the lights start blinking and I am not sure if it is in 4wd or not.

Well I took it to the dealer and asked for a diagnosis. after a $75 dollar charge they told me that the computer registered an "internal clutch solenoid error" and that i would need a new transfer case. The mechanic was very nice but told me it was considered a "non- serviceable item". They did very little investigating to come up with this answer.

To make a long story short, After a lot of research on my part (some on this forum). I figured out that there was a 90% chance that one of my HALL sensors had failed. I also found out that every dealer in the world knows these sensors fail. There are dozens of stories on this forum that detail this.

I bought both of them for $30.00 each. I changed the one on the rear driveshaft first. it took about 10 minutes to clip the wires to the old one. Butt splice a new sensor in. Install it and paint the connections with some liquid electrical tape. this fixed my problem immediately. I never got to install the front driveshaft sensor.

It seems like Syosset Ford is the only dealer in America that doesn't know about the HALL sensors on the 44-05 transfer case.

I also paid them $800 dollars to fix my ABS brake system. That was probably a $20.00 sensor also.

I still have the front sensor. If anyone wants it I would be happy to mail it to them.

Thanx for all the advice
Still have the sensor I’m having same problem. 99 navigator 5.4 dohc

Old 12-30-2022, 04:01 PM
Midwest414
1st Gear
Front sencer

Originally Posted by CNTHOR
To all you people who have blinking "4wd" and "4wd low" here is a little story for you.

for about 8 months now I have had the 6 blinks every minute symptom where it seems to shift into 4wd OK but after a few minutes the lights start blinking and I am not sure if it is in 4wd or not.

Well I took it to the dealer and asked for a diagnosis. after a $75 dollar charge they told me that the computer registered an "internal clutch solenoid error" and that i would need a new transfer case. The mechanic was very nice but told me it was considered a "non- serviceable item". They did very little investigating to come up with this answer.

To make a long story short, After a lot of research on my part (some on this forum). I figured out that there was a 90% chance that one of my HALL sensors had failed. I also found out that every dealer in the world knows these sensors fail. There are dozens of stories on this forum that detail this.

I bought both of them for $30.00 each. I changed the one on the rear driveshaft first. it took about 10 minutes to clip the wires to the old one. Butt splice a new sensor in. Install it and paint the connections with some liquid electrical tape. this fixed my problem immediately. I never got to install the front driveshaft sensor.

It seems like Syosset Ford is the only dealer in America that doesn't know about the HALL sensors on the 44-05 transfer case.

I also paid them $800 dollars to fix my ABS brake system. That was probably a $20.00 sensor also.

I still have the front sensor. If anyone wants it I would be happy to mail it to them.

Thanx for all the advice
I have a 2006 ford Expedition Eddie B version. Today driving from my uncles who lives an hour away . I started the truck and my ABS light went on. I would've took a look but time was against me and my wife. We were running late to get our son from camp..he gets out at 3pm and it was 2:35pm when we left and I noticed..its an hour ride back and my son is Autistic so being late gets him upset..anyways
I'm driving on the Hwy doing 70..hoping and praying we get there soon and safe and afterwards once my wife and son are home ill look into the issues..well not only was my ABS light on but also when driving and id go faster the 60 my 4x4H light would flash..and to add on to the stress as I'm racing to get my son my check engine light went on..
you mentioned you never used that sencer and if anyone was looking you would mail it..
my question is first would this happen to be the problem for me with my truck doing all that if so and you still have that part I'd take the part and full Appreciate an honor that you doing so..with bills and Christmas I can't afford to put alot of money into my truck 7mos ago i had to rebuild the trans for 2800..truck runs good just moments where it happens to break at the wrong time..any ideas you think it could be