1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Electrical , Need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:46 PM
gearshift101
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical , Need HELP!!!

this to me, is wierd, my son went to strat the truck. when he turned the key he heard a funny noise, like the strater was grinding, then when he turned the key to off position it was still cranking very slow. He opened the hood and saw the regulator where the possitive batt cable connects to, was smoking. he then removed the neg batt cable and it stoped smoking and cranking.

Now with the ignition in the off position, If i took the neg batt cable and touch the neg post on the battery the engine would crank and start to smoke but not start. like if the truck was being hot wired.

I thought it would have been the igniton lock cylinder, cause it was bad, did'nt need a key to start it. so i replaced it! that did'nt work. then I thought maybe a hot wire is touching but not sure. any help would be greatful.

could it be the ignition switch ???

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-13-2004, 12:40 AM
fai4g63
Senior User
Your starter solinoid is stuck. You can tap on it with a hammer to get the contacts to release. But you should replace it with a new one.

Old 06-13-2004, 05:04 AM
Big Red
Senior User
I would agree that it the soleniod that is bad. I had the same problem this past winter. Wacked it with my fist (ouch!) and it released the starter before anymore damage was done. A replacement was less than $20 and about 5 minutes to replace. I keep a spare under the seat just in case... it was the second time in the last 8 years of ownership that this has happened.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:07 AM
gearshift101
Senior User
electrical help

yes i'll let you know how it goes thanks!

Old 06-14-2004, 06:57 AM
gearshift101
Senior User
Electrical help

Problem solved

Tanks people!

It was the starter solenoid, for which I called in posting, a regulator.

My guess whould be that the old ignition cylinder may have caused the problem in the first place? I maybe wrong?

a bad connection with the ignition cylinder caused the starter solenoid to fry?

Tanks again.

AL