General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Storms

Old 06-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Frost13
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storms

Have any of you had any good storms lately?
We just had a bad thunderstorm, 100 mph winds, golf ball sized hail, but no tornados. We live in a trailer house, so we decided to go to my neighbors hous about a 1/16 of a mile away. We had to take our truck because there was a tree down in the road and we had to drive through our field aroud it.
We got to our neighbors, heard about the hail and my dad went and got our Expedition. I had to go open our neighbor's shop doors, which were caved in about 60 degrees. I got one open, but when the other one opened the wind took it off its hinges and laid it on me.(About a 12 foot door of sheet metal and angle iron.) We got the Expy in there with only one door closed. We waited out the storm then were out for about 2 hours cleaning up trees in pouring down rain, 25 mph winds, and about a temp of 60 degrees. When we started cleaning trees, I was only in shorts, a sleeveless shirt, and swimming shoes. I had to change into some Wranglers and steel toe boots. My neighbor was out bailing hay when the storm started. Can you imagine what unbailed hay would do when 100 mph winds was hitting it?

Anybody else have any good storm stories?

Old 06-11-2004, 03:33 AM
peppy
Postmaster
Yea, that storm came thru down here first. I have fence lines down, and fence lines full of someone elses hay that was cut, but not baled.
Think a couple calves got washed away. The house did just fine, and I'm grateful with no complaints, even with the mess to be cleaned up. I consider myself fortunate everyday.

Although there is a little story of someone who didnt think things thru......
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=249642

Old 06-11-2004, 04:11 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow.....there is no storms in Kali.

Old 06-11-2004, 04:21 AM
peppy
Postmaster
Well, I would venture to say that you have storms......just underground.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:19 AM
ubermich
Senior User
I'm in D/FW... the storms haven't been horrible lately, but the first night (about a week ago?) was quite the sight. Something like 400,000 people were without power the first night, and 240,000 the second... I saw a funnel in the direction of Meacham (sp?) Field, but of course no "licensed" spotters saw it, so they call it "straight-line winds" (straight which direction? There's pictures of planes that were spun around. That's either some very pinpoint winds, or some very curvilinear winds...)

But since then, it's just been rain... lots and lots of rain... They shut down a section of I-35W the other night. And poor Springtown... they keep shutting down Jacksboro Hwy, which is pretty much the only way in/out of town there.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Yeah, we were in the middle of that here in Lewisville, it was blowing the trash cans across the parking lot of the hotel that night... we didn't lose power for long, but I heard that Plano got hit pretty bad.

We had a little fludding in here in Denton Wed... not too bad though.

I sure missed spring in the mid-west when I was in GA...

Old 06-11-2004, 09:39 AM
wezol5484
Postmaster

I live in Keller and me and a buddy of mine heard about the storms (tuesday night of last week) so we headed off to a do-it-yourself carwash to park our trucks. We get there and its full. Well some guy came up to us and told us if we think we can make it that we can open the gate and park our trucks under a pavalion thats behind the car wash. Its a little half acre field that I think used to be a part of the car wash. I was like "Think I can make it? Wonder what that means." I get out of my truck to open the gate, all the while its rainin so hard you can barely see anything. After wading through about a foot of water to open the gate I see what the guy was talking about. The field is way overgrown. The grass/small trees were up over my hood and it was muddy as all heck. I said screw it and plowed through it all. I knew my trusty Ford wouldnt let me down. My friend followed in his 89' Scottsdale (FAAAAST truck, hopped up 454 .60 over). We sat back there for about an hour and a half. Saw a transformer blow, that was cool. We were listenin to the radio and haerd about a tornado forming in North Richland Hills. It was a crazy night.

Old 06-11-2004, 10:18 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, we've had 5+" of rain in the last 24 hours. Now some of my firewood pile is up to a block away, and I think the deepest spot in the lawn is about 24". I can't see a single blade of grass on my property. The cellar is full (nothing important down there), and actually, the door is under 4" of water. Another 2" deep, and I'd have carpet to clean in the house...

Jason

Old 06-11-2004, 10:24 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep,
spring time in North texus is FUN !!!
More rain in the last week than the last year :-)

and in two months we'll be begging for rain !

I had two sections of wood fence down...
and the curious thing is they were on opposite sides of the yard blown the opposite way !!!!
oh well, it's a rental while they are getting ready to build our new place...
glad it wasn't like one of the houses my builder is doing... had just finished up the framing Monday or Tuseday am and the storm on Tuesday nite got to it such that two sections of walls were blown down....

good guy that he is, he's not repairing, he's taking it all down and starting over !

Old 06-11-2004, 10:45 AM
79driver
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We aint got no bad storms, just about 6 inches of rain a couple days ago. creek overfilled and washed away part of our fence and several small trees along the bank. One of my friends had a small lake on their property and it overfilled and the dam busted and flooded/washed away their fields. Most of the bad flooding was to the north around Weatherford and Aledo

Old 06-11-2004, 11:33 AM
WildOneCraig
Senior User
A few years back Ontario Canada was hit with a huge ice storm. The weight of the ice was knocking large maples down and bucking hydro towers. No power for days. Thanks goodness for the woodstove, heat and make shift stove. They brought the army in to help with temp. hydro lines. That was a wicked one

Old 06-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
So you fellow guy's from Oklahoma:

Are you trying to say that you want MORE storms like this or what??? hehe. You woulnd't believe what my back yard looked like. I had so many trees down, it looked like a rain forest floor (as per what my little brother said). Anyways, they were BIG trees, infact, they were big when I moved here almost 15 years ago.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Originally Posted by WildOneCraig
A few years back Ontario Canada was hit with a huge ice storm. The weight of the ice was knocking large maples down and bucking hydro towers. No power for days. Thanks goodness for the woodstove, heat and make shift stove. They brought the army in to help with temp. hydro lines. That was a wicked one

Remember back in what was it... 01 when we had that ice storm in OK. I had one tree fall on the Bronco, didn't do much damage but had it burried in pretty bad. I think we were without power for 7-9 days, it was like deer camp, we just cooked on the coleman stoves, used the generator to power what we needed... I know some people that didn't have those kinds of things just lying around and they had it pretty tough.

Old 06-11-2004, 02:04 PM
WildOneCraig
Senior User
[QUOTE=Johnboy_BoomerSooner]Remember back in what was it... 01 when we had that ice storm in OK.
The year was 1998, many moons ago.

Old 06-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
That first one was Dec. 98... the last was Jan 02, both were a disaster though since virtually all of the power grid is above ground around here instead of buried. Doesn't take many trees falling to shut the whole place down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Storms