1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

steering pump problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 05:28 PM
moonley
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
steering pump problems

I have about 2000 miles on my complete rebuild of my 70 F250 4x4. I converted it to power steering using a 78 or 79 steering gear. The steering gear and the pump, as well as the pressure line were installed new. I also installed the factory original return line for a 76 that includes the extra routing for oil cooling. My problem is that my pump tends to howl an awful lot. At about 1000 miles, my first pump gave up the ghost, and the oil smelled estremely burnt. I installed another new (reman.) pump, and it still howls a lot. I'm not used to power steering, so is this pump supposed to make so much noise? If not, do you have any ideas what the problem is?
Thanks,
Moonley

Old 06-09-2004, 10:56 PM
4x4Subaru
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine does this also. I have had other Fords that have done the same thing. I have been driving it for a year now and nothing bad has yet to happen. I am blamming mine on the alignment of the pulleys. Mine is a bit off. I used a gear box and pump off a 72 F250 2X w an external cooler in front of the radiator. It is not noticable unless at high RPM (highway speeds). I also put in an additive to quiten the pump. That help a little. Good luck and let me know if you solve the problem. Greg

Old 06-10-2004, 09:35 AM
moonley
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I kinda thought maybe it was in the pump, I'm just not used to these older pumps, and didn't know if this noise was normal. It also kinda made me nervous after the first pump went bad so quick. I'll just run it and see how it turns out. Thanks for the input.