1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 05:42 PM
thatex
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck

I'm considering a new F-250 and was wondering if anyone has any advice on going with a fully loaded F250 or going with the Harley F-250. I'm a Harley Enthusiast as well as Ford but am I wasting a few thousand bucks for the HD logos?

Old 06-08-2004, 07:08 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 390 Likes on 235 Posts
IMO the Harley Davidson editions are super ugly. And like you said, why pay more $$$ for HD logos? If it was me I'd stick with a basic F-250.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Lnd Svyr
Senior User
Ditto what wxboy said. But if you like harley stuff....

get your dealer to list the harley stuff and decide for yourself if it's worth it.

i don't care for the frills myself. i prefer useful stuff.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:43 PM
thatex
New User
My other questions would involve the PSD. I currently have a 94 f150 with 115k original owner. I think I've had the standard problems which weren't to many. Anyway I'm really interested in the PSD and have been doing some reading. It seems that right now the 6.0 is hit or miss. Do I get a good one or do I get a lemon. When investing that much in a truck I think this will be the one they bury me in.
Tex

Old 06-08-2004, 09:54 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
IMO there are more hits than misses with the 6.0. Test drive one, or 2, or 3. Then make your choice.

Regarding the Harley, they make a nice looking Harley billet grille.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:50 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
I'd opt for the F-250 with the 6.0 PSD instead of the Harley Davidson version. Save the extra $$$ the HD costs and get the PSD. You can always put the obligatory Harley Davidson sticker on the back window! And no one will doubt your allegiance to Harley Davidson. And by the way... Welcome aboard FTE!!!

Daryl

Old 06-08-2004, 11:10 PM
thatex
New User
Thanks Daryl,
I'm still trying to figure this site out. Right now everything is going to my hotmail account. I'm not to sure where and when to go on the FTE site. I hope it gets better.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:03 AM
wiingnut
Posting Guru
Also something to think about. The Harleys and Xlt Sport (mono cromatic paint), all have painted front bumpers and no matter how well you take of the paint on bumper chips. Unoticeable from afar but locks like $h!+ up close.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:34 AM
deacjrt
Elder User
I really like the looks of the harley, but black leather can be real hot during summertime in Oklahoma. Also your options are limited somewhat when you buy a Harley. Test drive and if you find a PSD you like you will be fine. The 04 model seems to be more solid and the engine has a 5yr/100,000 miles warranty. Welcome aboard, you will love this site.

Old 06-09-2004, 04:20 PM
04-HD4U2NV
Senior User
We're all correct I believe - I have an 04 SD SC Harley, black on black long box. Not necessarily a die hard Harley enthusiast but wanted an all black interior and black exterior. It is the way Ford set things up is some of the reasons I ended up with what I got, Lariat, XLT only came with grey or tan interiors, sport came with charcoal black grey etc (a real mix on that one). The wheels available on the sport package were dated in my opinion and would have changed them out and that may have been 1 to 1.5K easily so the Harley gave me different wheels without that expense. The bumpers will show chips after a while I'm sure (I wish they would have black chromed them) the black front valance is flimsy on the Harley, maybe on the sport too for all I know. My Harley package I figure cost an additional 2K and if I remember right it was 3K on the crew cabs. Worth it? yes and no I guess depending on which day of the week, when the payment is due - no, of course not. You loose all Ford incentives which have varied but have been as much as another 2K. So I figure the Harley addition cost another 3.5 to 4K up front. Throw in the diesel with auto for 5K+ over the V-10 and you can see it add up quickly. My experience is that others do notice the difference from other trucks (not to say that someone else doesn't have something out there too that is noticed) I have gotten many from passing motorists on the highway (not kidding either), guys riding 2 wheel Harleys at stop lights and people yelling "nice truck" too. Would I do it again? Maybe not before maybe! cause I think the incentives and overall cost will be considered first next time. But then again I have had problems with the diesel so doing that again may also be a question. But then again, they have both been fun to have. You will spend more time cleaning em up cause you atleast will think you are being noticed. I have heard for a fact though that of the 8000 +/- built, 90 percent will be crews so that means that only 800 will be extended cabs, of that 85+ percent of the super cabs will be short boxes so I may have one of about 120 super cab long boxes and of that they say only about 25% will be all black. So I do think I am driving a somewhat of a unique truck. If this was my daily driver, I don't think I would go this way again. We pay for the grins and giggles, the performance options don't perform any better than an XL set up the same. So its everyone's opportunity to choose the day you buy. You know the Tonka concept sounds good to me, remember all the metal they had! Todays trucks are no where near the Tonkas of old, they all have lots of plastic whether it be Harley or any other model out there.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:39 PM
Tadashi
Elder User
I like the HD version but not keep on the dark interior so I went King Ranch. It probably cost me about 3K more but I do not regret it. I got it fully loaded. For 45K you do not want to spend that much money and say "darn I should have gotten xxx." The options are a drop in the bucket compared to the entire vehicle.

The only thing I did not get was the sunroof because I had one on my F150 and the wife never let me use it (sun in my eye, wind in my hair, blah blah blah). So figured I would save the $1k.

Old 06-10-2004, 01:38 AM
thatex
New User
Thanks Tadashi,
I wasn't aware that the King Ranch was more than the HD version. I'm more than likely going for the sunroof just cause I can. You know how you wait for some things in life and then you just do it! I have the bikes so I guess I really don't need the truck too. What's the major difference between the 6.0 and 7.3 PSD? Excuse my ignorance but I'm not really up on the diesels, I just know I want one. By the way who is making it for Ford? By the way the only thing I will be pulling is probably going to be the bike trailer. There may be a sport fisher in the future but not just yet. Do you think the 4x4 is a must or would it be more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks Tex
Orange Park, Fl

Old 06-12-2004, 11:22 PM
Tadashi
Elder User
I believe the powerstrokes are made by International. The difference between the 6.0 and 7.3 is suppose to be more power. They are slowly working out the kinks. I have heard of less and less complaints lately with the newer engines.

I only pull a small trailer every now and then but figured I would bet the diesel in case I get my dream trailer (another 10 years of nagging to the wife ... ).

When I originally talked to the dealer I was going to go without 4x4 for fuel economy and save some cash but was told there might be some places pulling a trailer where 4x4 might help. Not to metion there have been a few snow storms around here that the 4x4 has been a blessing. The decision finally came to best have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Not to metion how much it would cost later to get it installed.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Keeseter CO
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

My battle was between XLT and Lariat trims. Looking back on it, I think my money was placed better with the XLT trim for form and functionality. I have a hard time putting leather in a truck anyways . . . there are some things about the Lariat trim that would be nice, if I wasn't such a hardarse about where I spend 40k plus.

Old 06-13-2004, 11:53 PM
thatex
New User
which is better for reliability

I'm looking at the cummings turbo diesel in the dodge 2500 laramie. How does it stand up to the PSD? Since being on the site I've read a lot of negative things on the 6.0 PSD. Prices are about the same or for that atter the Mopar may be a little cheaper. Anyway I'm just trying to do some homework before I take the 0k plunge. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Tex