Sponsored by: DP Tuner

big trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2000, 07:48 PM
CAPTAIN
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
big trucks

I have been a chevy enthusiast for most of my driving life. My delema is that my wife wants a bigger fifth-wheel. I presently tow a 33' fithwheel with a 89 ext cab chev pickup 1 ton dually 454 manual trans. with lots of goodies to make it do the job. It dyno'ed at 308 hp. w/150k for mileage and pulls wonderfully. I know that if I go bigger ( presently 20,860 #'s combined ) pulling with a one ton would be pushing it.
I test drove a 2000 F-550 with truck bed,4x4, diesel automatic, 4 door dually. It drove great in town but we have this hill with about a 5-6 % grade for about 2 miles out of town. I entered this hill off a bridge at about 35 mph with the electric overdrive off ( simulating conditions while pulling the 5th wheel). I then gave it full throttle and waited to see what happened. It took the whole hill to hit 60 mph @ 3000 rpm.
In comparison my truck will peg the speedo just a hundred yards up the hill under the same conditions. Please keep in mind that my truck is a manual 4 speed with 4:10 rear end and the new truck had a 4:88 rear end.
Now, Ford expects me to pay around 50k for this truck that was a performing JOKE. Is there something wrong? Should I save some money and turn to Freightliner? The mechanic took out the truck and said it kicked ***, quoted "what a performer". Are all ford diesels like this, if so how is the hypnotist traveling around to so fast to everybody ( obviously not by ford diesel ). I am willing to try another one but the first one was ridiculous. I did notice a sound simular to pre-detonation when taking off from a stop light.....the mechanics told me that that was common for new ford diesels in this area with the fuel we have to burn ( S.W, Washington ). Maybe I should wait for Chevy's Isuzu diesel?
Sure could use some suggestions and please be democratic.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 02-22-2000, 02:25 PM
nojeffgordon
Junior User
big trucks

To pull what you got, I would suggest the 4 door Freightliner or International.
The only problem with the new chevy is IT IS NEW.
Like any new vehicle, there will be little problems and your the test subject!!!
I don't have any excuses about the 550, My runs like a bat out of hell, (I also have a 4" exhaust, chip and a aftermarket turbo system)
Good luck!!

Old 03-03-2000, 08:18 PM
PWRstrokin
big trucks

Hey Cap'. Try that truck again and let it go into overdrive. That diesel will probably pull better at lower RPM, the torque rating is 500 @ 1600 RPM. Like yourself, I was once a Chevy man myself. Then I started driving Fords for work trucks. The one that was just replaced was a 95 F250 with a 351 and a C-6 with no OD. The pickup had a utility bed on it and at least 50% of driving was on Rough dirt roads, if you've ever been to Southeast New Mexico oilfield roads, you know what I mean. Strut rod and axle bushings were replaced at about 125k due to front wheel hop periodically. Normal maintenance and a wiper motor were the only costs for this one, except for poor fuel mileage due to no OD i guess. GVW usually about 8500#, sometimes adding a 3000# towing load. The pickup was replaced at 148k and I am considering buying it for personal use. Remember the commercial with the Ford truck going up the rocky hill? I used to think that was BS, now a believer.

Old 03-03-2000, 08:23 PM
PWRsrokin
big trucks

I havent heard of the Isuzu diesel before. What is the hp/torque on it? I am now in a 2000 F350 SD and it pulls great.

Old 03-05-2000, 09:10 PM
Todd
Junior User
big trucks

Why would you need such a heavy truck to run down the road with approx 21000#s? Unless your local laws require that large a truck I would stick to a one ton duelly. I currently tow a large trailer(24000#'s combined weight)with a 97 F350 Powerstroke,5 spd.,and 4.11 gears. The truck handles the load with no problems. Our Manitoba laws state you can haul 3 times the max GVW(10000gvw truck 20000gvw trailer)when in a
5th wheel configuation. With a larger truck you may get into a whole bunch of extra red tape due to higher GVW rating.

Todd

Old 03-07-2000, 05:19 PM
Quantum
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
big trucks

The Izuzu Diesel is a 6.6L from Ch***, and has 300HP and 520ft/lbs of torques. Good?? Don't think so!! Like mentioned before, it is a brand new engine, **** to have problems. Tow rating is the same as Ford's 7.3L, so I would stick with a trusted truck..FORD!! Apparently the ride is still much nicer in the Fords, and the leaf springs on the rear end of a ch*** are not compariable to that of Ford.
2000/F350/PSD/SRW/Lariet

Old 03-07-2000, 08:12 PM
CAPTAIN
Junior User
big trucks

Hey Quantum.....better do some more homework before you make "shoot from the hip" statements. The new Isuzu diesel IS a V-8 with 300 HP compared to your wimpy 230hp in your ford. Plus the torque is an actual 520 ft #'s of torque compared to your 400 something that your Fffffford puts out. Plus this engine HAS been out and circulated longer than your powersmoke. Oh did I forget that they are coupling a 5 speed Alison to it? Looks like yours is still using that ford ranger transmission thats been recalled-How Many times?.......can't wait to admire trucks like yours in my rear-view mirror........Hell even the realistic ford owners say that Chevy rides better than Ford.....Sober up and look at the facts....Like I said before...I don't listen to the salesmen....I try things out for myself....and the Ford failed the test,miserably.......twice........I won't even consider a Dodge

Old 03-08-2000, 12:11 PM
Matt
Senior User
big trucks

Hey guy, the Ford PSD dynoed at REAL REAR WHEEL TORQUE of over 550lb-ft from the factory. They are underrated from Ford. This is according to a couple major publications, Peterson's FourWheel and Offroad being one I do believe. You should also check your facts.

Matt

Old 03-08-2000, 12:13 PM
Matt
Senior User
big trucks

Did you also notice that that new Allison 5-speed auto has a max-torque rating of only 550lb-ft?

Old 03-09-2000, 05:32 PM
swenson
Senior User
big trucks

Captain,
The duramax 6.6 has in no way been out longer than the powerstroke. The duramax 7.8 has, but that is not the engine that is going into the new Chevy/GMC HD's. Don't go yelling at people for shooting from the hip if you're going to turn around and do the same thing . . . Also, things like "rides better" are subjective, not a fact. Some, like myself, prefer a truck that feels like a truck if that rough ride means you've got a Dana 60 under your front end instead of A-arms and CV-joints. Also, don't go around spouting about an engine that isn't being sold yet, this gets really annoying as you don't actually have any personal experience with it, and therefore do not know for sure if it is better. If everyone based their truck purchase on pure speculation I'm sure there would be a lot of unhappy customers out there. Wait until it comes out, then if it's everything you hoped it'd be, good for you. Still won't get many people on this site to drop their Fords . . .

Old 03-12-2000, 03:25 PM
f1504x4
New User
big trucks

Well, welcome chevy man.....First i will start off by saying that you biggest complain was that the powerstroke didnt come up to speed as fast as your 454. You should know from being a towing man that a diesel will never acc. as fast a gas motor. As far as pulling you really know deep in your heart that the powerstroke will out pull that 454, cause of how many times you have been passed by one when you were struggling to get up those hills. Nice try, stay with your 454 and run around town looking like you have a work truck but leave the real work up to those who have a truck that can handle it. POWERSTROKE

Old 03-17-2000, 10:13 PM
fascaps
New User
big trucks

I have to agree with the above. A test on towing is not speed its power and mostly low end power.
Its also very easy to add power more power to a powerstroke engine with an aftermarket chip. I have a western diesel chip in mine which is not a real powerful chip but a reliable one for towing.
Now on the chevy VS Ford issue. Chevy is not a bad truck I also own a gas one that I use to take my garbage to the dump with every week. No insult here but thats what its for. Me personally I could not buy a new chevy diesel. They have no experience in this market and they most likely will have problems on the new truck just like ford and dodge did. By the way ford has NOT had any major problems with the trans in the newer models and dodge has seemed to have fixed all of theirs also.
The ford powerstroke is very detuned when you get it. If you feel as if you need more power get the 6 speed and a chip. The 6 speed is a ZF transmission which is a company from Germany. They are awsome and in my opinion they may take more abuse than the automatic. Most any manual will take more abuse than a automatic just the facts of life. If your serious about towing get the diesel its the only way to go! Will outdo a gas any day of the week with no problem.

Old 03-19-2000, 01:39 PM
Quantum
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
big trucks

Hey Cap'
Maybe you should look over your own stats on the Ford. 400 odd ft/#'s of torque? Try 500. Like stated before, it dynoed even higher, and a ranger transmission?? Come on, get off your little Chevy trip! Sorry if I hurt your feelings about "Like a Rock" truck, but its true, there is no competition for the PSD. I am not saying that it can't happen, but the Isuzu isn't gonna cut it.
Quantum

Old 03-19-2000, 07:44 PM
CAPTAIN
Junior User
big trucks

Hey Quantum
Guess we'll see who's right in a few months. Did I mention that I passed a 2000 powersmoke one ton dually today on a hill? Hell....he was pulling half the trailer I was and as soon as he saw me going around him, the smoke started rolling out of your famous "PSD". God, I loved the look on his face when I rolled pass him with ease, especially in my mirror when he saw how big my fifth-wheel is. I actually thought you and all of that torque you said they have ( Obviously some more campfire B.S. )Pretty sorry chump
How is it that you are getting stats no one else gets? sober up and smell the roses

have nice day D.H.

Old 03-19-2000, 11:34 PM
390GT
Senior User
big trucks

as if you passed him when he was trying to hold you. a 6.9 would outpull that 454 dog. even if you did happen to pass him he would end up passin you at the gas station anyway.

Quick Reply: big trucks