New Leveling Coil Pictures!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 06:56 PM
RyanGruhn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Leveling Coil Pictures!!!

Hey All,
So the leveling coils are in and the rear springs are going in tomorrow. Take a look at these pictures and let me know if you think the castor or cambor might be off; I forget which is which but it kinda looks like from head on the bottoms of the tires slope in. Also, the springs look really compressed, is that normal? You think I could fit 36" tires on it now?

http://ryangruhn.com/Auto/Springs/IM001856.JPG

http://ryangruhn.com/Auto/Springs/IM001857.JPG

http://ryangruhn.com/Auto/Springs/IM001858.JPG

http://ryangruhn.com/Auto/Springs/IM001859.JPG

Let Me Know!

Ryan

Old 06-01-2004, 07:32 PM
nickmobile67
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first picture looks like the spring is much too compressed. Like it is too long for the truck, or too soft for the weight.

By the last picture it looks like the camber is way off, but that's expected when you raise the front that way. The problem is, with the twin traction beams it's hard to adjust the camber. You'll have to have a shop install expensive shims.

Old 06-01-2004, 07:36 PM
RyanGruhn
Senior User
Originally Posted by nickmobile67
The first picture looks like the spring is much too compressed. Like it is too long for the truck, or too soft for the weight.

By the last picture it looks like the camber is way off, but that's expected when you raise the front that way. The problem is, with the twin traction beams it's hard to adjust the camber. You'll have to have a shop install expensive shims.

Frustrating,
So you don't think it is possible to align it? I think they might be too long, its almost like they are for a six inch lift. What do you think will happen if I run it like this besides chew up my tires?

Ryan

Old 06-01-2004, 07:51 PM
ronbo862
Junior User
Did the shocks bolt up ok? I was thinking the same thing, they look way too compressed. Have you driven it since changing the springs? If not, the front probably has'nt settled yet. Drive it around the block and see what it looks like. If you have driven it, get an alignment quick!

Old 06-01-2004, 07:54 PM
RyanGruhn
Senior User
Actually Guys,
I think theses are the springs that he put on:

http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/20/179/33700

Ryan

Old 06-01-2004, 07:58 PM
RyanGruhn
Senior User
Originally Posted by ronbo862
Did the shocks bolt up ok? I was thinking the same thing, they look way too compressed. Have you driven it since changing the springs? If not, the front probably has'nt settled yet. Drive it around the block and see what it looks like. If you have driven it, get an alignment quick!

I am waiting until he puts on the rear springs tomorrow. When he put the shocks on he said that he had to let the truck down to bolt up the shocks, but once the truck was off the lift they bolted up fine. What do you mean by settle in? Do you think they could actually spread out and look normal after a while?

Ryan

P.S. I don't know if it makes a difference but the truck was only driven about ten feet and the pictures taken were about twenty minutes after they were put on. . . . .do they just need to settle in?

Last edited by RyanGruhn; 06-01-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:05 PM
RyanGruhn
Senior User
Hey Guys,
Again I am getting my friends shop to put in the suspension but do you think he just hasent put the adjustable alignment bushings on yet? Here is a picture and also, would it make sense for him to put in the springs and then put on the alignment bushings?

http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/20/179/33520

Ryan

Old 06-01-2004, 08:53 PM
bossind
Elder User
Yeah, you need to do the springs first to see how much camber if any is needed for correction and yours needs correction but I'd put a few hard miles on it to settle the spring down.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:06 PM
RyanGruhn
Senior User
Originally Posted by bossind
Yeah, you need to do the springs first to see how much camber if any is needed for correction and yours needs correction but I'd put a few hard miles on it to settle the spring down.
Cool,
I am starting to feel better. So he probably didn't do the alignment bushings yet and the springs are just compressed like that because they need broken in. Sound right everbody?

Ryan

Old 06-01-2004, 09:12 PM
bossind
Elder User
That must be the design of the springs, if the springs where loaded the truck would be much taller and the camber would be way off, so way off you wouldn't even think about driving it. From the looks of your camber I'd say its what I'd expect to see with a 1" to a 1.5" lift.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:16 PM
RyanGruhn
Senior User
Here are the springs off of the truck.

They actually look like the coils are close to start off.

Ryan

Old 06-02-2004, 06:31 AM
bossind
Elder User
Have you drove it? Is it harsh? What if you jump on the bumper, does it move up and down or is it rock stiff?

Old 06-02-2004, 08:57 AM
f1001978
Senior User
Those look like progressive rate coils; the coil is tighter at the top then the bottom.

Old 06-02-2004, 09:36 AM
djjoshuad
Posting Guru
isn't a drop pitman arm supposed to be installed with these springs in order to fix the camber problem? I'm considering the Explorer Pro Comp 4" kit for my truck, and it includes a drop pitman arm, and new radius arms that are "supposed" to keep it from doing what his truck is doing. Any thoughts?

-Josh

Old 06-02-2004, 09:39 AM
bossind
Elder User
Pitman arm has nothing to do with Camber, really don't need to change the pitman arm untill after 3"s of lift. He just needs to install those camber bushings and have them adust to spec and he'll be fine.

Quick Reply: New Leveling Coil Pictures!!!