E4OD Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Schmavic
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD Problem

I've postd this before and didn't get a response. I'm hoping someone will see it and know the solution to the problem. I have a '92 F250HD 4WD with a 7.5L and a Ford supplied reman E4OD that has been updated to '98 modifications. It came with a factory plate-type trans cooler. I'm the original owner and I had the same problem with the first trans that was replaced at 65K miles (the trans replacement was the result of a mis-diagnosis by Ford).

On long, slow speed climbs (2-5 mph) in the back-country, the trans will sometimes suddenly belch about a quart of fluid from the converter area (not the over-flow on top). This is not a slow leak but a rapid discharge. After it cools-down, it doesn't leak fluid. The remaining fluid does not look or smell burned. I have had trans shops look at the fluid after an event and they confirm that it is fine. The engine temp is usually at the high end of the normal range when this occurs. When towing on the open road this does not occur even though the temp gauge reads higher.

I've tried operating the truck in 4WD in "D", in 4WD and 4L in "D", and in both using 1st and 2nd. Nothing works. I have a complete service (full drain including the TC) done every 15K miles and the trans shop says there is no sign of a problem in the pan (debris, etc.) The dealership and the trans shop guys say they have no idea what is causing the fluid to blow out. In desperation, I replaced the fan clutch but have not had a chance to test for the problem, but there seems to be more air moving through the radiator area.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this problem and how can I fix it? If I switch to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF will that help?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Schmavic; 05-26-2004 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:12 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem is that the transmission, especially the torque converter, is getting too hot. A fan on the plate cooler might help, since there is very little airflow over the cooler at 2-5 MPH.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah at 2-5mph speeds, you are not getting a lot of airflow especially if your engine fan clutch doesn't think the air is hot. Low speed heavy load is tough on trannies.

I would probably get an electric fan and I might go with a bigger cooler.

Also make sure that your radiator and coolers are not obstructed by dirt, bugs etc and that you don't have some foolishness in front of the grill that blocks air flow. Some people put cool looking clear plastic windows over their grills or a big tire etc, so just want to make sure you aren't one of those.

Syn fluid might help a little, but like the other guy said, it sounds like your problem is not enough cooling air flow.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Old 05-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Schmavic
New User
I've considered a fan in front of the cooler, but I'm concerned that unless I have it on all the time, by virture of it's mass, it will restrict the air flow to the cooler when not operating.

Old 05-31-2004, 08:13 AM
outlaw50
New User
E4OD boilover.

I have talked to many about this problem as I have it to. I can tow anything for about 30 miles and then the puking starts. Let it cool down and fill it back up and it is fine. I believe the the problem is in the front pump. it is the only part that has not been changed in my trans. I spoke with a very knowledgeable guy this year at the PRI show in indy. he said that the 4r100 is the new generation and that the front pump was much improved and it was a direct rplacement for teh E4od pump. I have not heard differently.

If anyone else has this problem, lets start a tread and solve it.

outlaw50

Old 06-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Schmavic
New User
Outlaw50:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say the problem is the front pump. Are you saying the pump is causing the over-heating or that it is where the fluid is coming out? I think the core issue is still why does it overheating?

Old 06-05-2004, 03:09 PM
javi2001
Posting Guru
Well I'm not sure but...

Maybe oil temp is increasing suddenly originated by converter, remember there is no Lockup funtion available at 1° gear so oil temp can incresed easily.

Try climb using manual 2° gear, maybe computer commands tranny to activated lockup and then oil temp will be lower...

Old 06-07-2004, 06:41 AM
outlaw50
New User
as explained to me, the front pump is very inefficeint at low speeds. When loaded up, it tends to cavitate fluid inside the pump. The trans does not use fluid at lower rpms at proportional rate with the heat and pressure build-up. After time, It then pushes fluid out the front pump seal, which runs out of the housing and onto the crossover exhaust pipe. A very impressive cloud of white smoke is produced.

I changed my converter to a lower lockup rate towing style from Trans-star. The small blocks were factory setup with a high stall for smallblocks and a low stall for big blocks. Trans-star remanufactured some converters with a couple hundred RPM lower lock-up setpoints. The converter does what it claims to do.It is a noticable improvemnet. I went this direction because the computer was giving up "excessive converter slippage" codes. It was the only part, besides the pump that I did not change when on the first rebuild. I busted that aluminum planetary gear and replaced it with the steel one. My boil-over problem still exist. It is at the point now where everyday driving causes it to leak.

Old 07-20-2004, 11:21 AM
RVCams
Junior User
I also have the problem. It only occurs under extreme conditions -- stop/go traffic on a hot day, or towing my boat.

I suspect high pressure (from the heat) building up and forcing the fluid out. The front seal is apparently the weak point. Is there a vent line somewhere that could be plugged?

Old 07-20-2004, 06:23 PM
BOJOFASO
Elder User
im not an expert but at low speeds the fluid is not getting cooled properly. this inturn swells the torque converter where the fluid under pressure is blown past the front seal. when the converter cools down it shrinks back up and the front seal will not leak anymore.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there any reason why you wouldn't have the fan running, anyways? Cooler the transmission, the longer it lasts. So why not wire it to run off of a switch, and just make it a habit to switch that switch on when running around. You could turn it on just for those situations as well. But I'd still let it run at all times just the same. 10 degrees cooler equals something like 20,000 more miles out of the transmission?

If you're running hot on the engine...maybe getting a better cooling solution would help out with things? Bigger/better radiator, higher flow waterpump, auxiliary electric fan on radiator, lower temp thermostat, etc.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:44 AM
outlaw50
New User
Point is, this is a Ford E4Od problem that should not have to have extra measures like electric fans to be able to have my F250 pull my 17' aluminum boat. We are all having this problem and we would all like to know what the deficient part is.

Has any one heard of Ford rebuilding these E4Od cases with new and improved guts, probably from the 4R100, which I believe is the E4OD with all the upgrades and problems fixed, and selling them for about $1600 with a 3year/36K mile warrenty, good at any Ford dealer? Some say that they offered this to some of the companys with F250/350 fleets. I'd like to find out more on that.

Old 07-31-2004, 10:08 AM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
What is the temp of the trans suppose to be? I have a temp guage on mine and it runs about 215 degrees on the out side of the tranny. while running and then if I sit in traffic it has reached 250 degrees at times. It is very hot here in South AL so I know that does not help. I do not know what the side that runs out of the cooler is but I know it has to be a good deal cooler.

Old 08-03-2004, 03:09 PM
javi2001
Posting Guru
Well it seems to me a bit hot but Wha was ambient temp at that moment?

My tranny runs at hightways about 195ºF and in traffic about 200º, BUT climbing can rise up to 225º, all those readings with ambient temp between 27ºC and 34ºC (80ºF and 94)

Old 08-03-2004, 07:06 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
About 95 with 100% hummidity. I think I am going to install my 10" electric fan onto my cooler it has gotten above 260 in traffic not moving. I do not know what the temp is coming out of the cooler I sure wish I did.

Quick Reply: E4OD Problem