2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 06:42 AM
bigjack
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First long trip

We're taking our first long trip in the new SCrew this week. Going to Upstate NY for a wedding. Coming back next week. I took it in to have the front end checked to make sure everything was still tight after the daystar install a few thousand miles ago. It's good to go. Anybody else traveling this weekend? If so be carefull out there.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:36 AM
fatman66
Senior User
I'm actually going from upstate NY to Annapolis MD to see my brother graduate from the Naval Academy. It will be my first long trip in my new truck as well. I hope the weather clears up here in upstate NY for that wedding this weekend, its been rainy lately. Dirve carefully.

Old 05-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
Not going anywhere, but helping my fiance's sister move from one house to another. Hopefully I get to load up the truck to see how well it handles the extra weight.

Old 05-25-2004, 06:18 PM
roof it
Freshman User
I went for a 6 hour trip a few weeks ago down to North Carolina, and the truck was just great to ride in. It was quiet, and very comfortable. I have a Lariat SCAB 163"
On the way back, about half way through the trip, with my sister sitting next to me, we were cruisin at around 80mph while I was fiddlin with my XM tuner trying to find a station to listen to. I look over for a moment, as I sense a car next to me in the left lane, and sure enough IT"S A STATE TROOPER!!! OH CRAP!! I'm thinking to myself, I look down at my speedo, it reads 80mph, OH DOUBLE CRAP, so I figure why let off. Well he just kept on going. I said THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! He must have thought she was my wife, and I couldn't wait to get home out of her ear shot! Only thing I could figure.
So while the truck is quiet, it also leads to a false sensation as to how fast you're goin'. Maybe it's just me. Any way, Drive Safe.
Dave

Old 05-25-2004, 06:37 PM
froste
Senior User
No No i don't think it's just u, I comute about 80 miles round trip a day for work. I do the same thing, I have to use the cruise to keep from going 70 in a 60...lol I think it is the quietness of the truck that does that to u.

Old 05-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Mr. PC
Senior User
Originally Posted by fatman66
I'm actually going from upstate NY to Annapolis MD to see my brother graduate from the Naval Academy.

Your brother rocks. Tell him that some guy on a web forum is very thankful for his future service to his country.

Old 05-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Ranger Louie
Senior User
Talking

I'll be driving my new truck from Van Bortel back to Illinois in a couple of weeks a total of 10 plus hours I'll be getting a SuperCrew!!!Can't wait!!!

Old 05-29-2004, 06:48 PM
fatman66
Senior User
I just got back form my trip to Annapolis MD ~700 miles round trip and here are my thoughts on my truck (04 F-150 XLT, SCAB, 5.4, 4WD, 133''WB), I started with 500 miles on it.
1. Gas milage: trip down with just me and the G/F 16.5, trip back with a bed frame, headboard, box spring, matress, and full dresser in the back mpg was 14.5 (I got about 13.5 city driving). This is what I expected and still at least 2mpg better than the old truck.

2.Power: Wow, it sure felt like 300hp to me. I used to drive up Rt 15 North (between Williamsport PA and Painted Post NY) all the time with my old 95 Sierra (5.7L) and even with all the stuff in the back, my F-150 didn't struggle at all on those hills, never dropped it below 70mph and still kept the rpms at about 2500 at most. My Sierra always strugled up those hills even when empty.

3. Ride Quality: Very nice and smooth, even on those worthless roads around Harrisburg PA and down in Maryland.

4. Interior Comfort: Better than I expected, seats were very kind to me, at 6'1'' 350lbs I was worried. I could use a bit more hip and lower leg room, used to have more in the old truck. Big buttons for the cruise control on the wheel were nice instead of tiny ones on the turn signal stalk.

5. Some padding on the arm rest on the drivesdie door would be nice to have.

6. The huge mirrors were great, I had no view through my rearview mirror b/c of the load and tarp but the side mirrors compensated nicely. It was great to be able to adjust while driving too!

All in all after 13 hours in this truck in the last 48 I was still excited to drive form dropping off the G/F back to my house! By the way, graduation at the US Naval Academy was really something!

Old 05-29-2004, 07:10 PM
jimtracker
Junior User
God Bless your Brother. Tell him to keep his butt and head down.

Jim

Old 06-07-2004, 05:16 AM
bigjack
Elder User
Originally Posted by bigjack
We're taking our first long trip in the new SCrew this week. Going to Upstate NY for a wedding. Coming back next week. I took it in to have the front end checked to make sure everything was still tight after the daystar install a few thousand miles ago. It's good to go. Anybody else traveling this weekend? If so be carefull out there.
Well we had a "hail" of a trip. Ran into a hail storm south of Knoxville. Damage total, $3900. New hood, fenders dented, top dented, tonneau cover ruined, mirror broken. I said to the wife " the way this trip is starting I'd just as soon go back home". She said "fine with me I didn't want to go anyway." She didn't have to say it twice. Turned around and came home,total miles 911. Other than that it was a great trip.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:57 AM
lanepierce
New User
G'morning to all.

Just got back last night from a long trip.

F150 - SC, 4x4, Posi 3.73 rear, leather interior, Audiophile

We went from Atlanta to Houston then up to Dallas and Back to Atlanta + driving around in each place = about 2800 miles. Very nice ride, More like a car then your typical truck. No squeking like mentioned in previous posts. Gas on highway using cruise control (75mph) was about 16.something (sorry I do not recall).

-Lane