Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Best Van/Engine/Auto-Trans combo???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 12:39 AM
N_fini_T
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Van/Engine/Auto-Trans combo???

Hi,

What would you consider the best combination of van/engine/auto-transmission for the following purposes:

1. towing a trailer from 2000lbs to 4500lbs (my estimate of a minimum utility trailer with storage stuff, including wood, to a maximum of an older 16’ travel trailer… I might be off on the max weight)
2. best gas mileage (optimum is 18mpg, acceptable is around 15mpg, min is 12mpg)
3. best overall performance (I can work on it myself, but don’t want to if don’t have to)
4. looking at older models in the less than $5K range – and body is not nearly as important as engine, but looking for long-body models

... looking for your opinions on year (obviously older model) and engine size and trans type ... which combo is your favorite and why? If it varies tremendously based on my towing (purchase not made yet for trailer), then can you give me your top two choices (for min and max tow weight)?

Thanks,

Old 06-29-2004, 03:46 PM
MadMedic20
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An E350 with 7.3L Power Stroke and auto trans. My ambulance is currently a 1996 with that set up. I have had very little problems with it. Of course it doesn't tow but it has a rather large box on it. The entire vehicle weighs in around 10,000#'s. Plenty of power to spare and milage isn't to terrible. (arrow dynamics is biggest problem with the box.) If you could fit an intercooler under the hood some how it would have even more power.

Next best would be a V10. Milage is worse but good power and towing ability. Wait just thought of something, the van V10 has less power than the truck version. Alot less, never driven one though so don't know how noticable it is.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:32 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fors is the only one that you can get with the diesel ir big gas engine. You cna no longer buy a brand new dodge, and chebby doesn't have the big 8.1 in em either.

As to the medium level gas engine 5.7 vs. 5.9 vs. 5.4, the dodge seems to be happier, with a load, but the 5.4 is not far behind. the 5.7 is just plain weak compared to the other 2.