Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Problem with exhaust pyro

Old 05-23-2004, 08:02 AM
fishbiodad
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with exhaust pyro

I have Banks monster exhaust and I was installing the autometer z series pyro. The fitting that comes with the pyro that screws into banks pre-tapped hole is smaller and also a different thread. I matched it up with the plug to find that out. So, I went to all of the local hardware stores to find one that will fit. I could not find one. I also have tried to search the internet and still no luck. Does anyone have some advice?
thanks

Old 05-23-2004, 08:13 AM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, don't worry about.
Plug it and install the pyro PRE-TURBO. Much more accurate readings when installed pre-turbo.

Old 05-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Huffer
Junior User
First:call "Autometer" with the problem. Next: call "Banks". Between the two, they should have a quick solution for you.

Old 05-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Sawduster
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Fishbiodad, I just saw the Spike TV show, "Trucks" where they started w/ a F250 6.0 PSD CC and tricked it out w/ Banks gear. They installed a new innercooler, monster exhaust, air intake, and the Six-Shooter tuner. That truck burned rubber for a 100ft and ran like a scalded-dog! Looking at their website and reading how attentive to detail they claim, I was surprised to read that you had your problem w/ probe. Keep us updated to Bank's response, pls.

Old 05-23-2004, 02:06 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sawduster
That truck burned rubber for a 100ft and ran like a scalded-dog!
I think it's safe to assume he was power braking. I was the same episode.

Old 05-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Fire Rooster
Posting Guru
I have never seen a scalded dog run (I hope he is ok!!) But I have seen a bear **** in the woods.

Fire Rooster

Old 05-23-2004, 03:41 PM
Bigsilver95
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire Rooster
I have never seen a scalded dog run (I hope he is ok!!) But I have seen a bear **** in the woods.

Fire Rooster
Why would you watch that? or was it accidental?

Old 05-23-2004, 05:19 PM
fishbiodad
New User
OK, I found a fitting that I added to the nipple fitting that came with the autometer gauge. Now, let me try to explain this. On the banks downpipe there is a tube that has been tapped and welded that extends outside of the downpipe about 3/4 of an inch. This is where banks puts their pre-tapped pyro. I found an additional fitting that I added to the autometer fitting. I put it all together and without putting it in the tapped tube that banks welded on the downpipe. There was about 1/2 of an inch of the probe that extended outside of the fittings. Keep in mind that the tube that banks installed on the downpipe extends outside of the downpipe 3/4 of an inch. Now, that is does not allow the pyro probe to extend into the downpipe. So, I hot rodded around the block to see what my readings were. The hottest the gauge read was 700. That was when I was accelerating real hard. When I let off of the pedal, the gauge quickly went back down to 500 within two seconds. Does this all sound normal???

Old 05-23-2004, 05:23 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
As I said before, plug the damn thing and install the pyro sensor pre-turbo where you will have more accurate EGT readings.

Post turbo readings can be as much as 75-300 degrees difference from pre-turbo readings.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:30 AM
mtncrawler
Senior User
I too have a Banks downpipe with the welded nipple for the egt probe and will change it to pre-turbo one of these days. It was pretty convient and easy to install it there but having a gauge that provides almost useless information is pretty silly. Even the Banks website says pre-turbo is the way to go. If you put it in the downpipe you won't be happy with it and since it's turning into a hassel anyway...

Old 05-24-2004, 09:37 AM
basstardo
Laughing Gas
I have the Banks exhaust which is coming off this weekend (replacing with full 4" straight pipe), and I'm going to be tapping the exhuast manifold to install the probe. I wish I would have done this before. My turbo is having serious boost issues right now, but I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot exactly what's causing it. I should have a pretty good idea when I have the DP off this weekend and I get diggin around in there. Anyway, my point is, I wish I would have gone pre turbo in the first place to keep a more accurate eye on my temps. I don't trust post turbo at this point, and will never do it again. Just my .02.

Terry

Search this Thread