Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Block heater and glow plug questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 09:07 PM
Paul Williams
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a '97 PSD and the previous owner told me it had an original equipment block heater installed...... Ok, this makes me sound stupid but I cant find it.....No cord, no heater in any of the freeze plug holes, nothing! Am I missing something really simple or did the previous owner get to me and my wallet? Next question; Sometimes on a cool morning of about 30-35 degrres it wont start after the 'Wait to start' light goes out. I have to cycle the glow plugs and crank several times before it will run. However, on the colder mornings of about 20 degrees it has started right up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Paul Williams

Old 10-29-2001, 10:39 PM
Lashlaroo
Senior User

On my 97 the plug was under the hood, tucked in under the air filter?? one side or the other! but hidden well. it was a short wire too. just enuf to get out from under the hood when closed. black cover over the end.
I'd go look but traded it in for an 01 PSD4x4. I had to get the book out to find it on the 01 (under the front bumper)

Good luck

Old 10-30-2001, 02:00 AM
The Diesel Dude
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Block heater itself is located on the rear header of the oil cooler just above the oil filter. It it screwed into the aluminum oil cooler header and has 2 prongs that make contact with the plug in cord. The cord plugs into the heater then has a fitting that screws down to the heater to keep it from coming unplugged.
Unless you have some diagnostic equipment you should probably consult Ford on the glow plug issue. The glow plugs draw about 40 amps each and there are 8. So the first time they cycle (as soon as the key is turned on) you should see about 320 amps, plus or minus 20, on an ammeter, if you have one (you can use the kind that clips over the battery cable, induction style). In any event, the glow plugs are under the head covers (valve covers) and they are a pain in the ##### to get to.

Old 10-31-2001, 05:58 PM
Paul Williams
New User

Thanks for all the help...... I appreciate it!

Old 11-01-2001, 09:53 AM
DMIL
New User