1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power door locks

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 02:10 PM
totavikid
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power door locks

has anyone had a problem with the power door locks on the F series pickups?

Old 05-20-2004, 02:13 PM
todd f.
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, Mine just started drivers side 1999f-3504x4. Hope you hear from someone so I can fix mine also.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:30 PM
totavikid
Junior User
if the door lock is making an effort to lock or unlock it is more than likely the actuator on that particular door. if you operate the door locks repeatedly do any of the other door locks malfunction or do they all work properly and the problem exist in that on door?

Old 05-20-2004, 09:05 PM
bdjupiter
Elder User
Actuators are a common problem on these vehicles, several people have posted about this. You can get new ones from the dealer or look on e-bay and find them. Prices vary. Is it just one particular door or is it all of them?

Old 05-20-2004, 10:01 PM
celizsherron
New User
I just went thru this with mine. The locks would lock fine, but wouldn't unlock all the way every time.

I found these instructions on another forum and found them exceptionally useful.

Remove the power window switch and door lock cover by pulling up on the front and pulling it forward.

Behind it there's a single screw I believe it to be 9/32" but cant remember exactly.

Next remove the reflector/curtasy light cover at the bottom of the door there is another screw there the same size as the one at the top.

Remove the interior door panel by pulling strait up on it.

But before you yank it away remove the courtesy light from the back of the panel by twisting it a quarter turn.

And now you can carefully remove the vapor barrier and if you remove it VERY carefully you can re use it with no problems at all.

NOW remove the rubber plug on the back side of the door there will be a 7/16" nut behind it that holds the exterior door handle on, remove IT with a 7/16" deep socket.

Now if you look inside the door there's another 7/16" nut on the bottom of the exterior door handle that you have to remove with an end wrench.

After you remover the 2 nuts, you can pull the door handle to the outside there will be 2 rods on the door handle.

remove the lock rod by using a screwdriver to push the clips apart and pull the rod out.

Now carefully snake the handle off the other rod.

You will now be able to see the black plastic lock actuator on the gold cadmium plated door clasp.

pry the pushpin that's taped to the wiring harness off the lock actuator

Pry the lock actuator towards the inside of the truck from between the plastic and the metal.

Once you pry it loose you can snake it to the bigger hole in the door and use a small screwdriver to pull the connector loose and remove the actuator and throw it as far as you can muster for the aggravation is has just caused you.

Now take the new one and plug in the wiring connector and snake it into position.

Now MAKE SURE you line up the pin on the actuator with the hole on the control linkage and push the new actuator on to the door latch firmly.

Now test the locks operation using the switch on the other side of the truck.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Superdutybrett
New User
I'm actually going through the same problem right now. My driver's side power door lock works fine but the passenger side power door lock only works occassionaly. It apperars that when I use the keyless remote entry or the actual door lock switch that it tries to unlock the door but the lock wont go up all the way. Its the same thing when I try to lock the door as well. It acts as if there's not enough power to push the lock up or down.......if in fact it is the actuator, what does one reasonbly cost? Its for a 99 F250SD Lariat. Trying to keep the cost low, I just had to replace the rear main seal at 52K miles.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:33 AM
gsuski
New User
I have a similar remote door lock problem with both doors on my 2001 HD 250 52K mile, so being the curious type I removed one of them to see what made them sluggish. I used a procedure like CELIZSHERRON discribed above and found that the actuator is rivited together and I had drill out the rivits to get inside and see what makes it tick. The problem appears to be a small undergutted 12 volt motor that drives a sector gear and move the link to lock or unlock the door. (about the size you find in a kids toy) This motor is not repairable other than remove the brush plate and cleaning the carbon off the commutator segments. Cost of the assembly from Ford is around $75. I left the actuator out and use keys for the time being. It is a fun project that takes some patience but not impossible if you like a Saturday afternoon mechanical challange.

Old 08-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Dwinn
Senior User
After market actuator

I also have this problem on my 00 F250 and my 92 F150. On the 92, I had the actuators replaced when I had an alarm installed. The after-market acuators were much cheaper than the Ford OEM actuators and I've never had a problem with them. So you might check with some local alarm shops to se how much the actuators are or how much it is to have the alarm sho replace them.

Old 09-01-2004, 11:52 PM
azguy2
Freshman User
I have replaced 3 of the 4 actuators. This fixed the problem of the doors not locking/unlocking. Like someone said "There is a gutless 12 volt motor that you would find in a kids toy" that operates the locks. The back doors are easier than the front because they don't have the key lock. The actuator will cost you around $60.00 dollars from Ford. Its a pain to get them in and out of the bowels of the door.