6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fix for Turbo/Exhaust Drone/Moan at 1600-1800 RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Hayapower!
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
In reality it does not, that notwithstanding, it could be the plant in which it is assembled.
The drone that is. My theory, there is no mechanical problem, it is a resonate issue that can be cured by the “realignment”

Pieces is pieces, and parts is parts!!! So why only some rattle!!

One of lifes mysteries...

It's just such a mystery why some have the drone, and others don't.. It's,, either you have it, OR, don't.. NO in between conditions.. Same year/build dates/models affected.. So why so hit and miss, especially since these pipes have flex couplers/joints to help with vibs and alignment as well.. Could it be, that the flex joints 'help' to bring on the turbo vibration, by not creating a solid enough mounting platform.. You'd think the downpipe and exhaust would dampen alot of vibration.. Who knows.. And, most engines have had the drone since new.. You would think that 'some engines' would develop the drone, as movement and stresses along with additional mileage change the dynamics of the original attachments.. Has anyone seen the 'new' bracket and the changes that have been engineered into it?

Old 05-28-2004, 07:31 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Now before anyone wants to disagree with me on this, realize that I am writing about a generic reason why many things can and will go wrong in a mass produced part on any assembly line.

If an item is built on a jig, if the jig got out of alignment then it can cause problems, and that can be at only one assembly plant. It can be as simple as a pneumatic air wrench that is out of calibration, i.e. one that is supposed to toque a bolt to 40 foot pounds and is only obtaining 10. Resulting in a rattle, then misalignment and then a drone. We at time want to try to find the most difficult reason for a problem, like poor engineering or QC problems with parts, however it can and is sometimes something very simple.

Now I am not writing that this is the cure for the drone, it is a possibility, and one that must be explored with each case.

Old 05-28-2004, 11:02 AM
Hayapower!
Elder User
But I thought QUALITY was job one!!!

But, I've also never heard of an early 'or' later build 6.0 'contracting' the Drone after a Trurbo replacement, or aftermarket exhaust.. Seems that if the pipes weren't aligned/neutralized after a turbo was bolted on, that a drone could be a reasonably good possiblity of occurance since this is such a sensitive affect/adjustment.. And you know that Ford probably isn't going to re-align all of them, each time, at the point of turbo install..

Old 05-28-2004, 11:13 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Hayapower!
But I thought QUALITY was job one!!!

But, I've also never heard of an early 'or' later build 6.0 'contracting' the Drone after a Trurbo replacement, or aftermarket exhaust.. Seems that if the pipes weren't aligned/neutralized after a turbo was bolted on, that a drone could be a reasonably good possiblity of occurance since this is such a sensitive affect/adjustment.. And you know that Ford probably isn't going to re-align all of them, each time, at the point of turbo install..

You hit it dead on

But how many will read and listen to this

Old 05-28-2004, 12:39 PM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
90% of the droan went away after they replaced my y pipe. Maybe its in a bind an thats whats cracking the y pipes too. Now I hear other moans and groans the droan covered up.

BE

Old 05-28-2004, 02:27 PM
softwizard
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
This does work; it will take the stress out of the system that is causing the harmonics.
I even put on a DPPI turboback dual exhaust and it still has the droan...

Old 05-28-2004, 02:51 PM
bighoss550
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Hayapower!]Pieces is pieces, and parts is parts!!! So why only some rattle!!

One of lifes mysteries...

It's just such a mystery why some have the drone, and others don't.. It's,, either you have it, OR, don't.. NO in between conditions.. Same year/build dates/models affected.. So why so hit and miss, .....QUOTE]

seems like a trend w/ these trucks, this "hit and miss" phenomenon. not just w/ the drone, but w/ all these problems. seems like it comes down to the hand that was dealt to you, whether you get a good 1 or not. nothing seems to point to any real cause. disheartening

Old 05-28-2004, 05:25 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by softwizard
I even put on a DPPI turboback dual exhaust and it still has the droan...
Bummer, it has worked on many, just not yours!

Old 05-28-2004, 08:32 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
I just got my truck back. They had it all day. At five oclock I wasn't sure I was going to see it this weekend. The service advisor said the shop foreman and diesel tech would work on it, test drive it, bring it back, call Ford, work on it some more, test drive, call Ford.. I got to the dealer at 6:00 PM. They said the call is still open, take it home, drive it this weekend and let them know on Tuesday. I drove it for 20 miles or so. The "moan" is definitely subued. I probably wouldn't notice anything if I wasn't looking for it. There is, I think, a slight low frequency vibration that is barely perceptible.

I looked under the truck and the hood. It looks like the turbo was removed. Greasy fingermarks were all over. Front driveshaft had been disconnected so I guess they loosened all the exhaust as the service message indicated.

I'll drive it some more over the weekend and let you know. I am not sure if it is totally gone or not.

Old 05-29-2004, 07:05 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by SBV45
I just got my truck back. They had it all day. At five oclock I wasn't sure I was going to see it this weekend. The service advisor said the shop foreman and diesel tech would work on it, test drive it, bring it back, call Ford, work on it some more, test drive, call Ford.. I got to the dealer at 6:00 PM. They said the call is still open, take it home, drive it this weekend and let them know on Tuesday. I drove it for 20 miles or so. The "moan" is definitely subued. I probably wouldn't notice anything if I wasn't looking for it. There is, I think, a slight low frequency vibration that is barely perceptible.

I looked under the truck and the hood. It looks like the turbo was removed. Greasy fingermarks were all over. Front driveshaft had been disconnected so I guess they loosened all the exhaust as the service message indicated.

I'll drive it some more over the weekend and let you know. I am not sure if it is totally gone or not.
It has worked quiet well before, maybe it will for you. Good luck.
It reads as though your dealership is working with you.

Old 05-29-2004, 07:13 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
Tim, they have been pretty responsive. Very service oriented. I only know one owner who spoke poorly of them. This guy tends to be pretty negative anyway so I take the square root of what he says.

I have to be careful of my evaluation because now I am looking for something specific rather than just getting in and driving it. The service writer said some people come in and complain of vibration because the coffee in their coffee cup in the cup holder shows vibration ripples when they are driving. I don't know if I there is a car made that wouldn't. Certainly not a F250/350. I don't expect it to and I guess satisfaction is about expectations being reached.

Old 05-29-2004, 07:31 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
and I guess satisfaction is about expectations being reached.

never more true

Old 05-29-2004, 11:15 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
I bought an F250 SD with the 6.0 PSD to have a truck that I can pull a fifth wheel, boat, trailer, etc. I was very pleasantly surprised at the overall quietness and performance of this truck. The flashes could have been handled by Ford (not the dealer) a little better. I still think it is quieter than I expected, the performance is great. My expectations still have been met. I am only disappointed in the software flashes. I see software screwups like Ford did in all the big computer system manufacturing companies all the time. Par for the course. Bottom line, I still like the truck I have a lot.

Old 05-29-2004, 10:06 PM
twoballsleft
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is doing it too...noticed it today...600 mi on the truck...built 04/04.

Old 05-30-2004, 07:04 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by twoballsleft
Mine is doing it too...noticed it today...600 mi on the truck...built 04/04.

Inspect exhaust system, confirm hangers and isolators are properly positioned. Correct any bent or damaged hangers and/or bound up isolators.
Loosen turbocharger exhaust down pipe (6N646) at the V-band clamp and connecting flange at the catalyst inlet pipe.
Confirm proper turbocharger downpipe alignment to catalyst inlet pipe. With turbo downpipe in a neutralized position retighten turbo downpipe V-bland clamp at turbo and connecting flange at catalyst.

Try this my personal experience it works 3 out of four times.

Quick Reply: Fix for Turbo/Exhaust Drone/Moan at 1600-1800 RPMs